Sign in to follow this  

Advice on my new everyday/tow vehicle.

Now I have a low miles Ford Windstar 3.0 v6 that I inherited.    I hate it actually.  As soon as I received, I immediately checked to see what the trade-in value was to dump it.  They wouldn't give me crap for it so I decided to keep it for a while.  It's the saddest vehicle with the motor and trans. not matched at all to each other.  It won't shift up or down when you'd think it would and the engine is TOTALLY flat in mid range where you'd need some balls going up a slight hill on the highway. BTW- I've had it in a trans shop and it's working as designed.   My trailer is just the typical Harbor Freight/Northern Tool 4X8 trailer
SO...I like the idea of a mini van but I think it would have to be a v6 - correct?  I tow only about 3k miles a year but it has to be able to DO this and I do like driving a v6 in a small vehicle.  I guess a Honda or Toyota mini van with their v6 may fill the bill but I'm not sure.  Small pickups with the extended cab don't do much for me and probably get premium prices too. What sport-ute would fill the bill for me?   A friend had a GMC Terrain that I liked.  Any suggestions?

I really like the idea of a passat diesel or a jetta diesel wagon as a moto hauler. 45Mpg and alot of room inside.

• Like 1

i had one of those vans. it is a worthless piece of crap. that being said i got close to 200,000 before mine went. nobody is going to give you what it is worth. i would just keep it and drive it till its worn out, spend all the extra money on gas and bikes.

• Like 1

I agree driving the van into the ground is the best option. A free van is the best kind of van!

i had one of those vans. it is a worthless piece of crap. that being said i got close to 200,000 before mine went. nobody is going to give you what it is worth. i would just keep it and drive it till its worn out, spend all the extra money on gas and bikes.

I know that "free" is a pretty good price (!) but you really got some good life out of yours!  Mine only has 45K on it now but from what I've read, either engine or trans may crap out before 100K so I thought I'd be proactive and maybe get rid of it while it's still worth something.

I had a Ranger with the 3.0 in it, what a turd!!  I had constant issues, and terrible fuel economy and power.  I eventually sold it and bought an identical Ranger with the 4.0, and actually got better fuel mileage with it.

A free vehicle is hard to pass up, but if you really want to get rid of it, don't trade it in.  Sell it private party if you want any real money out of it.

• Like 1

Volvo AWD wagon...serious...

2.5L turbo, plenty of power and torque to haul bikes...only mod I'd do is an in line trans cooler, very easy to do..

I just saw the new restyled Honda CRV and if they came with a V6, I'd spring for one.  

Keep the suggestions coming!

I like the idea of the used VW diesel wagon, if you can't find one of those try an older forester both should be roomy enough and be able to tow. If you need a van maybe a honda odyssey or somthing. 

nobody is going to give you what it is worth

Something is only worth what you can get for it.

Let it go for whatever you can get for it, there's some money for gas and stuff for your bikes. Why not buy a pickup truck? You can put two bikes in the bed and they make capable daily drivers winter or summer. Plus you can take them in the woods with your bikes without worrying about much.