Sign in to follow this  

08 CRF 450

I am looking at buying a 08 CRF 450, and the guy is the original owner.  He rode mostly trails, and the bike has an hour meter that shows 70 hours.  He claims he has never adjusted the valves.  This seems a bit odd, but the bike starts one the first kick, and feels solid.

Do you guys agree with this?

I don't think it is uncommon. If a guy rides trails and isn't wringing the bike out (which is hard to do on a 450 sometimes) then I can see the valves still being in spec at 70hrs. If you get it, it can't hurt to just give a quick inspection but if the bike seems like it is well cared for then I would say it isn't too uncommon.

• Like 1

If he cleaned the air filter religeously and changed the oil regularly then it sounds right. The first generation 450's were the worst as far as valve problems go. The intake boot was not mated to the box very well and that allowed debris to bypass the filter which in turn caused the valve problems.

The 08 is a great pre-efi bike. Can I ask how much he is asking for it?

I wouldn't pay more than three for a really nice one. where I'm at you can get a really nice 2010 for 4 grand all day.

The 08 is a great bike!.. It is. BUT you can't deny how much lighter the newer models feel. I'm not trying to talk you out of anything Here. I own a older model myself and love it but if it was a 09+ then it would turn better, feel lighter and I would be able to ride faster, more aggressive longer without being exhausted which in turns is more dangerous. Just somethin to think about

I think the 09s+ feel lighter, for sure. I never got to ride an 08 back to back with an 09 but the light-feeling of the newer ones is the main thing that stands out, from my own experience. Aside from that, not sure if the newer ones are much better. I haven't spent much time on them, but I usually ride my friends 08 a few times a year and it always is super impressive. I think low $3000 range is a good price, for my area at least.

I am looking at buying a 08 CRF 450, and the guy is the original owner.  He rode mostly trails, and the bike has an hour meter that shows 70 hours.  He claims he has never adjusted the valves.  This seems a bit odd, but the bike starts one the first kick, and feels solid.

Do you guys agree with this?

Got any pics ?

Wouldnt be many 08s around with 70hrs total. Not saying its impossible, but just because the hour meters says it, doesnt mean thats the total time. 08 was a great year.

Wouldnt be many 08s around with 70hrs total. Not saying its impossible, but just because the hour meters says it, doesnt mean thats the total time. 08 was a great year.

Mine is probably 30-40 hours max.  I haven't had a lot of time to ride since I bought it, and it was very low hours before that.

So, they are out there, and it is possible :)

Yeah, mine has only 26+ ACTUAL hour meter verified hours and is not going up. Sad. Very,very sad.

100 hours isn't uncommon before valves need adjusting, especially a bike that isn't on an mx track all the time..

lots of tell-tale signs will indicate if the hours are really 70. Wear on the pegs, frame, kick starter should be nice and tight on the pivot shaft, same with brake pedal, shifter should show very little wear on top/bottom, same with foot peg teeth, clutch cover should have a little wear, but not much. Brake/clutch levers should not be sloppy in the perch especially if original (if aftermarket who knows). Things like that.

i raced my 08 in the vet a class since new, took a year off bought a 13 yz450, sold that wide ass bitch, ran the honda again, 110 hrs, one complete clutch, basket and everything, two seats, two sets of rims,one piston at 100 hrs, never adjusted the valves, and no it aint for sale

100_4046_zpsf210b9c8.jpg

• Like 1

I just bought my 08 crf450r a couple days ago. Very low hours. About 35. OEM plastics and graphics still. Also got a power washer, riding gear, step ramp, and extra tire in the deal. Paid 2400 for all of it. There are always good deals out there

My 06 is going to have something catastrophic happen to it before I even think about getting another bike

Edited by Diggla117

Bought my 08 with plans to sell the 06. But but now I don't know of I want to haha. Like them both a lot. Owned a lot of different bikes and the crf450r is by far my favorite so far. I recently made the switch from a 07 cr250 and have no regrets

I just bought my 08 crf450r a couple days ago. Very low hours. About 35. OEM plastics and graphics still. Also got a power washer, riding gear, step ramp, and extra tire in the deal. Paid 2400 for all of it. There are always good deals out there

The is an awesome deal. Can't find a deal like that around here

Bought my 08 lastt year, during winter did complete bottom and top end, got 50 hrs and complete race season (won intermediate hour long mx championship) valves havent budged, about to replace piston. Rode 15 yz450 today....keeping my 08 for another season. Better bike then the new yamahas. I have 13.5:1 je piston, fmf megabomb header and powercore silencer, hinson clutch (rekluse will be here tomorrow) and pro action suspension. Will probably keep it until it rots to dust, best bike ive ever had.

1411340457872.jpg

08 is an awesome bike wish i never got rid of mine! Have a 2010 now pretty much feels exactly the same just more temperamental

• Like 1

08 is an awesome bike wish i never got rid of mine! Have a 2010 now pretty much feels exactly the same just more temperamental

I have heard as much, I can say its the best machine I have owned 2 or 4 stroke.