Sign in to follow this  

02 cr carb

Just got an 02 cr and having problems with the jetting. It's rich on the bottom end. Have bin told to get rid of the stock carb and go to a Kien pwk which I have on my 99 cr can I swap that carb over and if so what does it take

I did everything I could to my 03 to make it work. Even bought a JD jet kit for it. After a month or so of swapping brass and needle clips changes I broke down and got a keihin pwk airstriker from JD and it was hands down the best purchase I have made for that bike! Once I got it jetted I haven't had to touch it in 2 seasons (same basic alt. And weather) I say if you can swing even a ebay 00' cr250 carb you will be way ahead of the game. I had the same issue with my old 01' cr250. After carb swap I loved that bike!

Yep ^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^

I played with my Mikuni on my 07 for a while and could never get it to run sweet consistently ......

After some googling and research I discovered more and more info on owners converting to Keihin PWK carbs, I pretty much had to try it for myself......best thing I have ever done!

Not saying the Mikuni is a bad carb, but the YZ, KX, RM and SX 250 2 strokes all run the Keihin carb.......only the Honda has the bunky Mikuni?

Why?

My theory is that Honda got a great discount on these carbs and were more focused on 450 development at that time?image.jpg

I have the stock minuki carb on my 04 CR250R. Would it be better for me to save up for the air stiker PWK or just put in a JD jetting kit in the stock carb? Also what type of info does JD need like,... I live in Rockford, IL I'm not shure what the sea level is here. On the 04 doesn't the air box leak on these also? Thinking about getting the mx bones airbox/boot sealer kit. I'm not shure how much of a difference this will make eighther.

Sandy450 the pic you posted looks different than the pwk carb I have. Are they year specific or do I have a different carb ?

• Like 1

Sandy450 the pic you posted looks different than the pwk carb I have. Are they year specific or do I have a different carb ?

Sandys is the newer version, it has electronic TPS and the slide isn't round

I have a JD PWK and I'm finding it as finicky as my mikuni when it comes to elevation and temp changes. It runs a little stronger off the bottom and a little weaker on top. I've actually switched back to the Mikuni with the jd kit. I missed the top end.

• Like 1

I have a JD PWK and I'm finding it as finicky as my mikuni when it comes to elevation and temp changes. It runs a little stronger off the bottom and a little weaker on top. I've actually switched back to the Mikuni with the jd kit. I missed the top end.

The reason I'm thinking of using the pwk I have instead of geting a new one Is cause it was flawless on my 99 cr. I never had any problems with elevation or anything and am hoping it will run great on my 02 like it did on the 99.

List try it all out, I am no expert on compatablility I just swapped my bike haha, your cable should work though

Ok thanks it all looks the same the cable on my 02 just looked slightly longer and I can never seem to get the cable off the slide with out struggling for hours so am hoping it will work. Idk what the trick is to get it out of slide it's always a pain.

So will the one I have work ?

Search for a post on here called "PWK conversion information"

This will tell u everything about the mod.

Stock throttle cable is ok but there's barely enough free play in the cable to be safe.

The 01-03 CRs require the PWK with the twist top cap as it is a longer carb.

04-07 take the shorter body PWK as in my pic and has the TPS wiring etc......

Good luck with it and just do it! You won't regret it!

I have the stock minuki carb on my 04 CR250R. Would it be better for me to save up for the air stiker PWK or just put in a JD jetting kit in the stock carb? Also what type of info does JD need like,... I live in Rockford, IL I'm not shure what the sea level is here. On the 04 doesn't the air box leak on these also? Thinking about getting the mx bones airbox/boot sealer kit. I'm not shure how much of a difference this will make eighther.

the 2 best mods you can get for these bikes.  Seal the airbox and put a PWK on it. I've bought an 03 and an 06 and both had tons of sand behind the filter in the air boot.  both had sand in the carb venture, and in the reed boot. clean all that out and seal up the air box, when you do air filter maintenance check for dirt/sand behind the filter again.  I do this on every filter cleaning, if there is any, you need to figure out where it is leaking and seal it up.