Want to get into vintage mx

I'm 15 years old and currently race harescrambles and ride mx. I ride an 03 yz250 both in the woods and the track. I honestly could care less how I do in the woods races right now I wanna get faster on the track so woods races are for fun and to see my woods riding friends. I was thinking it would be cool to run an old 2 stroke in the woods just to do something different and maybe do some vintage mx once and a while. Currently I'm lookin at a 89 kx125 and a 83 rm125. Both look good and the owners claim them to be in good condition. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while but want some more info on it. Any tips? Anyone have these bikes? How do I get parts and what should I look out for? Thanks guys! I'm gonna try and check one of thes bikes out in person hopefully by Friday.

KX is better bike. Check rules in area you want to ride. They break the vintage stuff down by parts AND years. The other thing before you go to far is to make sure parts are available for your bike. Getting very hard to find certain parts for certain models. No good having a great bike but no piston available or powervalve broke and non-existant. Also older bikes were bad for pitting in waterpump area. If too bad you may end up with whole motor replacement

Yes parts are major concern. certain parts on certain bikes can be a deal breaker. Early KDX200 is a very good choice for off road but MX it is not. All depends on tracks were you will be racing and skill level of you and others. Best to just have a grin and have fun. If trying to win you have to have competitive bike and skills to match. 

All the late 80's early 90's were decent bikes. Some are very desirable and can cost nearly as much as good used new bike though. Don't overlook the 250's A early RMX250 was great bike also.

i have an 83 rm125 - i wouldn't want to ride it in the woods.  a bit too peaky - good on the track though..  parts are not bad.  there are a few hard to find parts/expensive parts (full floater suspension bearings get expensive..)  the drum brake kdx200 and it200 make really nice woods bikes..

if you want to be able to race in the vintage series, drum brakes front and rear almost always fits in a class.   the front disc bikes are just recently starting to be allowed in some series.  

i ride 99% vintage bikes - yamaha has been the best for me for parts availability - pre-1986..   kawasaki and suzuki are generally more difficult to source parts for, although not impossible..

Not a yamaha rider but the early YZ are probably the best overall package. Actually had some torque and solid chassis. If you look at rules it will determine class. Here we have  a few. 1-dual shock(yet same year yamaha monoshock is legal), air cooled, drum brake, 2. single shock disc front water cooled no upside down fork. 3. dual disc most anything up to 1989.    AHRMA has whole other set of rules as does most groups.

Aw shucks, just get a CR500 and call it good. Nothing else you will learn throttle control. I actually used one for years up in Idaho mountains Even at 9000 foot it still had loads of power and motor will last forever if you take care of it.

Ya I would echo the comments on parts.  I prefer Yamaha, just because of the swap factor model to model, and you can still get parts from the dealer.

I would do some research, figure out which bike you really want, and then wait for it to pop up on CL.

• Like 1

On parts, as much gut feeling resulting from a handful of years of looking around at stuff:

Yammies and Zukis, about the same on oem availability and interchange. Of course that drops off as you go further back, but good well into the 70's. Decent aftermarket on popular models. PE I mentioned is an exception on oem and more matches my Honda opinion.

Hondas, don't seem to go back as far as oem, but they have a hell of a following which means great aftermarket, and a lot of interchange has been figured out for you.

Kawies, dont seem to hear much about. Either parts are available, they never break, or no one rides them?

I would be comfortable with the parts situ on big bore CR, IT, YZ, RM, etc. IT400's are very cool, and fun, and fast as hell, but the newer models had better suspension. 425/460/490 was just the evolution of the 400, so IMHO, if you want open class IT, bigger is better, not for power as much as handling. I should say, Ive only ridden the 400, and those were nearly new.

Google the antithumper to see some good input on open class two strokes.