Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Dave's bike... What can I say?

Recommended Posts

In a previous thread, I discussed carburetion issues I was having with Dave's 1987 XL600R. Dave's bike, for those uninformed souls, is a bike I purchased from Dangerous Dave, a co-worker of mine who crashed the bike soon after he stole it from a dude for $800. I, in turn, stole it from Dave for the inflated price of $950 after installing a new stator in it for him. Seemed a great deal at the time, as the bike had all of 7300 miles on it, and was in excellent shape. But I digress...

 

After solving the carb issue, Drooling Dave's bike decided to exact its revenge upon me by stranding me twice, that's TWO times, whilst commuting back and forth to work. The upshot of all this is that Mama, tiring greatly from rescuing me from the freeway, generously assented to the purchase of a new bike. The DR-Z400 currently sits in the stable next to her Ruckus.

 

After the first stranding, I discovered that the stator connection wires had worked themselves loose and had arced to the point of being covered in ozone. This, I assume, from the removal and replacement of the carbs a bazillion times and the associated gas tank removal required for same. I replaced the connectors, zip-tied 'em out of the way, and fired that mutha up, smug in my confidence that I NOW had a reliable ride. Two days later, Mama is once again coming to the rescue. The bike did the same thing as before: just died graveyard dead. Like the kill switch had been flipped. 

 

Once I got around to checking it (I was busy for a couple days, buying a new bike and all), I discovered that my new connection job was sound, and still tucked away like a new babe. Not being an electrical guy, I did some rudimentary checks and found that, once again, Dave's bike had no spark. I checked stator output and discovered that when I kicked it, my trusty Craftsman multimeter registered between 28-32 volts. Having no idea what the heck that meant, I checked with a trusted bike mechanic in town, Bob Downer. Bob tells me that a good stator output should be closer to 70 volts.

 

So, there you are, trusted TT Dudes. Once again I need help diagnosing Diamond Dave's bike, albeit for the last time. 'Cause once this issue is resolved, the proceeds from Dave's bike will being going towards the DRZ. Kinda went over budget...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

90 volts. Is that at a certain engine speed, or just the little bit of rpm I get when kicking? I got the plug out so I am getting some rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say plug out, good kick or spinning rear tire, probably should be 90.

 

OK cold dead hot is often the pulse generator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried it again and was getting upwards of 70 volts this time. While I was touching the male connector with the multi meter probe, the bloody thing fell off in my hand. Bad connection, I recon. Fixed that, again, and she fired right up. I still blame Dave...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...