Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha yz 250 2005 Hard Enduro / Hare Scrambles Project

Hi 

I from Portugal 

I'm a big fan of this bike. 

already had one, brand new in 2006 model 2006. 

The first time I rode the bike, was in Enduro track, Brutal force, just wanted to give back to the store. ahahaahAHAHAH 

The next day and the day before, I started to like it. 

Started to change some things to slow down the bear. 

- Put another gasket on cylinder change setings on jeting etc ... 

Now I bought this bike, the firs year of 2005 aluminum frame, and starter a new project.. ... 

change to Hare Scrambles and HARD ENDURO.

IMG_20140622_152028.jpg

IMG_20140622_152037.jpg

IMG_20140622_152045.jpg

IMG_20140622_152106.jpg

• Like 1

I began by disassembling all parts of the bike. 

polish the frame and some parts to make more beautiful, lol 

I took all the screws of the bike to a guy, to make the treatment. 

brand new

IMG_20140808_184103843.jpg

IMG_20140809_194751339.jpg

IMG_20140811_233628621.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like a good start.. :thumbsup:  :ride:

What part of Portugal do you live?

Hi

Let's see how it looks. 
Just send the cylinder to Eric Gorr to put the 295 kit. 
Heard so much good about it here in the forum 
Guess I will be 2weeks

I live near Lisbon, In Sintra.

• Like 1

Hi

Let's see how it looks. 
Just send the cylinder to Eric Gorr to put the 295 kit. 
Heard so much good about it here in the forum 
Guess I will be 2weeks

I live near Lisbon, In Sintra.

That 300 kit sounds awesome! If I was running a yz I'd definitely be looking at that. YZ's are common here and set up for hard trail.. Good bikes!! Looking forward to seeing the project. I always wanted to visit. It's in the to do list along with everything else. Some family originally came from Madeira and Azores.

You must be talking about; 

or 
or 

EXACTLY!!! Love that stuff!!!!!!  We have one coming up soon on Kauai. Everyone is excited about it and sending their bikes by ship and flying over to race on kauai which is on another island..

I'm sure you'll see a bunch of yz's riding in that one..

Here's some old vids of the race..

I've been watching lots of Extreme Lagares races on Youtube and love it!!! I'm guessing you will be right in there with that fun!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

How? Galvanize or paint?

Galvanized,

you can do in 3 colors. yellow, black, and this one

Today came the weight for the Flywheel.

I chose 11 oz, should have chosen 13 oz !? 

Added 8.5 cm in length to the silencer. done by a good welder

IMG_20140812_145712206.jpg

IMG_20140808_183858015.jpg

Today came the weight for the Flywheel.
 I chose 11 oz, should have chosen 13 oz !? 

Added 8.5 cm in length to the silencer. done by a good welder

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Reviews/2668/3011/Tusk-Clutch-Kit

I think you can add some steel plates to your clutch replacing some aluminum to add some weight and reduce aluminum shavings in your oil. I had a 13 on my cr and had replaced the aluminum clutch plates and it was a little too much.. I later put on a 10oz and it still had lots of smooth lugging power... It was just right. A Tusk clutch kit from Rockymountainmc has a whole clutch kit with springs for about $70 shipped in USA. It should still be way cheaper to buy even with added shipping to portugal.. and you'll have an extra set of fiber plates to put in later when you need. Since you are doing extreme enduro I suggest getting or making a grab handle like the one animal handles makes. It's way better than a strap and it strengthens the rear fender and gives way better leverage and overall feel to pick up the bike .. It also protects the seat a little. The looks aren't the greatest but it's use and purpose are awesome. I also had one on my cr. I'll never go without one now especially on a cr or a yz etc type bike. You can see it here on my cr.. when I had it..just sold it to get my Beta 300. Look at the back of the fender on the cr.

http://animalhandles.com/products.html

What guys do here also is cut the side plates along the lines of the subframe so there is a good place to grab when carrying or pushing. It's good but I rather have the rear handle as i rather have more protection from mud.. It's ok though.. I like the looks with the plates too.. Since you are going for extreme enduro I know it helps and it's an option to look at... It works well for grabbing... Here you can see what some guys do to their yz 250's here.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Reviews/2668/3011/Tusk-Clutch-Kit

I think you can add some steel plates to your clutch replacing some aluminum to add some weight and reduce aluminum shavings in your oil. I had a 13 on my cr and had replaced the aluminum clutch plates and it was a little too much.. I later put on a 10oz and it still had lots of smooth lugging power... It was just right. A Tusk clutch kit from Rockymountainmc has a whole clutch kit with springs for about $70 shipped in USA. It should still be way cheaper to buy even with added shipping to portugal.. and you'll have an extra set of fiber plates to put in later when you need. Since you are doing extreme enduro I suggest getting or making a grab handle like the one animal handles makes. It's way better than a strap and it strengthens the rear fender and gives way better leverage and overall feel to pick up the bike .. It also protects the seat a little. The looks aren't the greatest but it's use and purpose are awesome. I also had one on my cr. I'll never go without one now especially on a cr or a yz etc type bike. You can see it here on my cr.. when I had it..just sold it to get my Beta 300. Look at the back of the fender on the cr.

http://animalhandles.com/products.html

What guys do here also is cut the side plates along the lines of the subframe so there is a good place to grab when carrying or pushing. It's good but I rather have the rear handle as i rather have more protection from mud.. It's ok though.. I like the looks with the plates too.. Since you are going for extreme enduro I know it helps and it's an option to look at... It works well for grabbing... Here you can see what some guys do to their yz 250's here.

nice bikes man. 

The clutch lasts longer with Tusk steel cluth kit? 
I was thinking ATF +4 to the motor 
worth installing the stator with lights? to make heavier

nice bikes man. 

The clutch lasts longer with Tusk steel cluth kit? 
I was thinking ATF +4 to the motor 
worth installing the stator with lights? to make heavier

Thanks! .. I think your bike will be more trick with the big bore.. That's one thing I didn't do to my cr.. The reason I went with the tusk was because going original would cost me way more just for replacing the aluminum plates than getting a whole clutch kit with springs from Tusk was worth it to try. Turns out the quality and the performance is just as good to me . I got the steel plates to reduce the aluminum shavings in the oil and to gain some rotating weight. I know some guys don't even go with a flywheel weight on their cr.. The added weight of the steel clutch plates helps enough so they didn't add the flywheel weight. It just depends on you on what you prefer. I had the 13oz flywheel weight with the steel clutch plates and it was good but maybe a bit more than I needed.. I wanted just a touch more zap to keep it fun and the bike lugged down plenty good. My cr isn't the same as your yz but I figure it's close enough. Later I went down to a 10oz and it was a little more the way I liked it.. either way is good though.  Now if you are going with the stator with the lights that's another factor.. Maybe you may not even need a flywheel weight depending on what stator and setup you are going with. Is there an E-line stator for your bike? That would be good.. The yz has a lot of options since it's still being made and has been relatively the same for many years. You can buy some reasonably priced wide ratio gears for your bike too and put that in too if that works better for you.. Some threads have the info to change that out and the price for the gears is only 2 or 3 hundred bucks.  It was a ridiculous price for my cr since mine was the second generation... Anyway that's another thing you can look at.. a lower first and second gear might work well for you for the technical stuff..just need some research putting in searches in the yz 2 stroke threads to see who has done it  before and how it worked. It may not be that big a deal especially since you are going bigger bore..   I used ATF for oil and changed it often. It worked well and was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the fancy expensive oil.  I don't know what the +4 means  that you put after the atf..   

Here's a thread on an eline stator.. don't know if the info is current though.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/398938-lighting-coilstator-for-a-2007-yz250/

Another thing to consider is going with an 18" rear rim and it also being wider.. a 2.5" rear rim hooks up better and is smoother riding. It's an advantage for having a larger footprint for hooking up and for braking. I had it on my cr in the vid and I will be putting it on both my Beta 525 RS and my 300 rr. I just ordered some buchanan stainless spokes yesterday and slowly collecting what I need before I do it sometime in the future. I'll look to buy the 2.5" 18" rear rim when I find a decent deal. Sometimes the prices are way too high. It's funny that I have an 82' husky 430 cr  project bike that has some upgraded race parts that were on it when I bought it. One of the upgrades is a 2.75" wide rear 18"  sun rim. I think that was and early Procircuit race mod when Procircuit was racing husky... a long time ago.  Putting an 18" rear on my cr was one of the later of the mods because i thought it might not make that much of a difference from the 19". Wrong.. at least where I ride the 18" is a great mod and made a big difference especially on the slippery technical stuff.. along with just making the overall ride smoother and nice.

• Like 1

Like Hawaiidirtrider said, an 18" rear wheel is nearly a necessity. It's amazing how much more traction it will find off-road. And the extra sidewall provides some much needed "cush" for a smoother ride, and less pinch flats.

Like Hawaiidirtrider said, an 18" rear wheel is nearly a necessity. It's amazing how much more traction it will find off-road. And the extra sidewall provides some much needed "cush" for a smoother ride, and less pinch flats.

I already have 18 wheel ready to mount.

I have this wheel from a 2008 yz 450 that I also change the size :ride:

Thanks! .. I think your bike will be more trick with the big bore.. That's one thing I didn't do to my cr.. The reason I went with the tusk was because going original would cost me way more just for replacing the aluminum plates than getting a whole clutch kit with springs from Tusk was worth it to try. Turns out the quality and the performance is just as good to me . I got the steel plates to reduce the aluminum shavings in the oil and to gain some rotating weight. I know some guys don't even go with a flywheel weight on their cr.. The added weight of the steel clutch plates helps enough so they didn't add the flywheel weight. It just depends on you on what you prefer. I had the 13oz flywheel weight with the steel clutch plates and it was good but maybe a bit more than I needed.. I wanted just a touch more zap to keep it fun and the bike lugged down plenty good. My cr isn't the same as your yz but I figure it's close enough. Later I went down to a 10oz and it was a little more the way I liked it.. either way is good though.  Now if you are going with the stator with the lights that's another factor.. Maybe you may not even need a flywheel weight depending on what stator and setup you are going with. Is there an E-line stator for your bike? That would be good.. The yz has a lot of options since it's still being made and has been relatively the same for many years. You can buy some reasonably priced wide ratio gears for your bike too and put that in too if that works better for you.. Some threads have the info to change that out and the price for the gears is only 2 or 3 hundred bucks.  It was a ridiculous price for my cr since mine was the second generation... Anyway that's another thing you can look at.. a lower first and second gear might work well for you for the technical stuff..just need some research putting in searches in the yz 2 stroke threads to see who has done it  before and how it worked. It may not be that big a deal especially since you are going bigger bore..   I used ATF for oil and changed it often. It worked well and was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the fancy expensive oil.  I don't know what the +4 means  that you put after the atf..   

Here's a thread on an eline stator.. don't know if the info is current though.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/398938-lighting-coilstator-for-a-2007-yz250/

Another thing to consider is going with an 18" rear rim and it also being wider.. a 2.5" rear rim hooks up better and is smoother riding. It's an advantage for having a larger footprint for hooking up and for braking. I had it on my cr in the vid and I will be putting it on both my Beta 525 RS and my 300 rr. I just ordered some buchanan stainless spokes yesterday and slowly collecting what I need before I do it sometime in the future. I'll look to buy the 2.5" 18" rear rim when I find a decent deal. Sometimes the prices are way too high. It's funny that I have an 82' husky 430 cr  project bike that has some upgraded race parts that were on it when I bought it. One of the upgrades is a 2.75" wide rear 18"  sun rim. I think that was and early Procircuit race mod when Procircuit was racing husky... a long time ago.  Putting an 18" rear on my cr was one of the later of the mods because i thought it might not make that much of a difference from the 19". Wrong.. at least where I ride the 18" is a great mod and made a big difference especially on the slippery technical stuff.. along with just making the overall ride smoother and nice.

The oil that i use is PENNZOIL ATF+4

Already bought second hand gearbox of WR400. I will test it, see how it goes, :rolleyes:

Still do not know what to do. seems to me like EG 295 is the perfect choice for me. tecnical enduro stuf. much torque. but easy to use. 
But I live in Europe, 
if i have a problem with this kit, 
It is quite expensive, the EG covers the cost of sending back !? :jawdrop:
When I receive the kit. measure everything very carefully before assembling, 
Them the kit have to work ...? right? many hours ...

$T2eC16J,!zQE9s3sr!K,BRQe9)UCnw~~60_57.JPG

• Like 1

The oil that i use is PENNZOIL ATF+4

Already bought second hand gearbox of WR400. I will test it, see how it goes, :rolleyes:

Still do not know what to do. seems to me like EG 295 is the perfect choice for me. tecnical enduro stuf. much torque. but easy to use. 
But I live in Europe, 
if i have a problem with this kit, 
It is quite expensive, the EG covers the cost of sending back !? :jawdrop:
When I receive the kit. measure everything very carefully before assembling, 
Them the kit have to work ...? right? many hours ...

Guys in Hawaii have the same element of distance.. but that's just the price of making the bike you want to make. From what I've heard EG is good . If I would have kept my cr the next thing I would have done is get a 265 or 300 kit for it from EG. Let's just hope it works right.. He's done this for years so I figure you are ok. I understand your concern if the kit doesn't work right  but screw it! Your bike is going to be good from what I can see so far and your intention to make it good.

Guys in Hawaii have the same element of distance.. but that's just the price of making the bike you want to make. From what I've heard EG is good . If I would have kept my cr the next thing I would have done is get a 265 or 300 kit for it from EG. Let's just hope it works right.. He's done this for years so I figure you are ok. I understand your concern if the kit doesn't work right  but screw it! Your bike is going to be good from what I can see so far and your intention to make it good.

Well ... 
I sent an email to Eric Gorr,
let's see what he replies
  • Like 1

The bike is ready to start mounting ...  :thumbsup:

I'm waiting for parts to repair the engine. 

I'll put everything new. 

crankshaft kit, crankshaft bearings, gearbox bearings etc ...

IMG_20140812_134603166.jpg

IMG_20140812_134645491.jpg

IMG_20140808_193550775.jpg

Edited by MASGALOS
  • Like 1

Well ... 
I sent an email to Eric Gorr,
let's see what he replies

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............................................................................................................I'll be surprised if he responds at all. He is notorious for not communicating at all thru anything but telephone calls, when you can reach him!

• Like 2