Sign in to follow this  

98xr650L exhaust

I you had come here about a month earlier, I had a SuperTrapp pipe for sale.  But my son bought an XR650L a couple of months ago, so I sent it to him as a birthday present.

Your best bet is to start searching the internet for pipes, then ask about specific ones here.  You'll get better responses if you can name the pipe you're considering.  Then those that have them will chime in.

If you want loud and cheap I think the lowest priced muffler is a DG $175.00 but don't quote me on that.FMF Q4 $292.00 ,FMF powercore $244.00

Maybe you should detail why you want a different one. Power, sound?

If it's power, a used XL600R header and a ATC350R baffle in the stock muffler would cost much less and net close to the same gains as spending $500 on aftermarket parts.

For sound, a stock muffler with the baffle removed doesn't sound bad and you could sell the stock, unaltered baffle for some good cash.

The stock muffler is not much if any heavier than aftermarket ones and besides the Q4, they are all pretty similar. Most aftermarket mufflers are just glass-packs, with a straight through core. The Supertrapp IDS2 Quiet Series has an extra baffle, but I don't recomend that muffler, the original type Supertrapp is better.

The XR's only mufflers, with the megaphone type mid pipe are probably best for power and they come in stainless steel. I've got an FMF Megamax that has a mid pipe like that. It's a one piece unit, purpose built to fit just that bike, not a generic muffler with a purpose built mid pipe, like a lot of the aftermarket mufflers. The XR's only units should use all three mounting points, like my FMF Megamax. Most aftermarket mufflers for the XR650L only use two, some even just one, because it's easier to build them that way; cheaper.

I'd say pu the money toward something else, like suspension tuning, but if you're set on the exhaust change, check out the XL600R and ATC350R baffle mod I mentioned. They are slick and inexpensive. Anyone in the know will recognize them and you'll know they are in the know when they do.

Onederer If you have a line on a inexpensive ATC 350 baffle let me know...I need one for my ATC 350X, you do mean a 350X right? matter of fact I would like to buy two, one for my ATC 350X and one for my XR650L.  I would even be happy If I could find a ATC 250R baffle for either one.

Onederer If you have a line on a inexpensive ATC 350 baffle let me know...I need one for my ATC 350X, you do mean a 350X right? matter of fact I would like to buy two, one for my ATC 350X and one for my XR650L. I would even be happy If I could find a ATC 250R baffle for either one.

My mistake, yes X. I guess I got stuck on the XRR/XRL/XLR thought process.

You should get the newest Dirtwheels mag, it is full of ATC pictures and there is something like a four page article on a 350X, no expense spared, build. It has the works, nothing was left untouched. I just picked up a copy yesterday.

Someone did pick up a 350X baffle for their XR not too long ago. They are rare as hens teeth, I know, but they do turn up every now and then. The guy posted about the details on here or on ADV. I think the XR600R baffle may fit too and he mentioned something about it.

I know of a sad 350X engine just laying on a shop floor, collecting dust.

Edited by Onederer

I weigh 150 pounds and I'm 5'7 I had the suspension done With new spring. I was leaning toward the fmf power bomb header and and the fmf q4 exhaust and I was gonna jet it with the fmf jet kit all that together is around 550$

The Q4 is popular and a good choice. If the stock muffler is still intact, you could put it in the classifieds here and offset the FMF cost a good bit.

Don't buy a jet kit, just get the OEM type jets in the proper size. That has been well gone over here, jet kits are just overpriced and not any more of a benefit.

As for the header, your going to see many people suggest that they are only needed for a built engine and will shift the torque curve higher in the RPM range on a stock engine, which is not something good. If there are some dyno numbers on stock vs aftermarket XRL headers (I remember seeing some) and there isn't any low end power loss, then maybe buy it. One thing to be reminded of is the loss of that great stock heatshield, which is better than any other shield out there. The FMF header is not going to come with any shield and the dinky one offered is, well, dinky.

Great imput! Thanks for the advice on the jets I figured I could buy the oem one in the right size and as for the exhaust the q4 it is. I already have pulled the baffle out of the stock exhaust and I love the sound and how much could I get for the stock exhaust? Thanks everybody for the help

I already have pulled the baffle out of the stock exhaust and I love the sound and how much could I get for the stock exhaust?

I'll offer $25 for it, plus whatever it costs to ship it to Folsom, CA. :D

If you still have the baffle and both the clean-out plate bolts are OK, maybe upwards of $100. Check the price of a new OEM muffler from Honda, that's why a good used stock one is worth that much.

If you aren't going to use it, get what you can for it.

Another thing to remember is that most aftermarket mufflers require repacking at some point. A stock muffler doesn't. That includes the Q4. I just checked Staintune's site and they no longer have a muffler for these bikes. Their muffler didn't require repacking, ever, but it was expensive.

I also just checked on ADV and a guy there posted about how a XR600R baffle is actually larger on the inside than a XR650L baffle, but the end plate has to be drilled because the the original opening is small. It looks like how I remember the ellusive ATC baffle looking.

My mistake, yes X. I guess I got stuck on the XRR/XRL/XLR thought process.

Someone did pick up a 350X baffle for their XR not too long ago. They are rare as hens teeth, I know, but they do turn up every now and then. The guy posted about the details on here or on ADV. I think the XR600R baffle may fit too and he mentioned something about it.

I know of a sad 350X engine just laying on a shop floor, collecting dust.

I also just checked on ADV and a guy there posted about how a XR600R baffle is actually larger on the inside than a XR650L baffle, but the end plate has to be drilled because the the original opening is small. It looks like how I remember the ellusive ATC baffle looking.

I haven't read anything on the XR600R baffle even fitting? I would like to learn more about if this is a option.what is the name of the thread that you read about the XR600R baffle?

I've read about some people grafting the XR600R muffler to the XR650L pipe.

I feel there is more to the story on the 350X engine ;)

As for the header, your going to see many people suggest that they are only needed for a built engine and will shift the torque curve higher in the RPM range on a stock engine, which is not something good. If there are some dyno numbers on stock vs aftermarket XRL headers (I remember seeing some) and there isn't any low end power loss, then maybe buy it. One thing to be reminded of is the loss of that great stock heatshield, which is better than any other shield out there. The FMF header is not going to come with any shield and the dinky one offered is, well, dinky.

I have read that the FMF Hi-flo header is a bit smaller then stock diameter and increases low end power but that hasn't been dyno tested I don't think, It might have just been seat of the pants?

the heatshield is still a issue...