Sign in to follow this  

Water pump rebuild kits

So my 08 crf450r has developed a coolant leak from the weep hole, after some research I've found that it's probably coming from the seals or countershaft bearing. My question is has anyone used the ebay water pump rebuild kits? What kind of quality are they? Am I better off getting OEM?

The kit in question: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Water-Pump-Rebuild-Repair-Kit-Shaft-Gasket-Seal-Bearing-CRF450-R-02-08-/201134529086?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACRF450R&hash=item2ed48d5a3e&vxp=mtr

So my 08 crf450r has developed a coolant leak from the weep hole, after some research I've found that it's probably coming from the seals or countershaft bearing. My question is has anyone used the ebay water pump rebuild kits? What kind of quality are they? Am I better off getting OEM?

The kit in question: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Water-Pump-Rebuild-Repair-Kit-Shaft-Gasket-Seal-Bearing-CRF450-R-02-08-/201134529086?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACRF450R&hash=item2ed48d5a3e&vxp=mtr

I used OEM for my WR450, don't think it cost much more than that online, but the seller has a good rating, you're probably OK.

Mike

This kit is good. Unless the water pump seals have been replaced before then you'd probably be fine JUST replacing the outer seal.

If the bike is real noisy idling then theres more to it that we can fill you in on.

The ebay listing is probably a collection of OEM parts. Maybe with the exception of the seals.

^which is good getting it a bundle deal and all. Usually the kits just have two seals and the bearing and are about 20 bucks. The gasket is another 15-25 and the shaft is 30 bucks if I remember correctly. So yeah if it has never been rebuilt before it's probably due for what all is included in that kit.

Edited by Diggla117

Thanks guys, the same OEM parts from Rocky Mountain are about $70. In my research I've found that the countershaft bearings could be the culprit for making the outer seals go bad. I have no idea if the seals have been replaced before as I bought the bike used.

Thanks guys, the same OEM parts from Rocky Mountain are about $70. In my research I've found that the countershaft bearings could be the culprit for making the outer seals go bad. I have no idea if the seals have been replaced before as I bought the bike used.

If the bike real noisy when idling then the cc's are bad. It sounds almost like a fast pace clanking noise

use OEM parts..

if this is the first time you have had an issue, just get the water pump seal . It's $5, literally, and a 10 minute job to replace. this will do just fine for many more hours to come. Rubber wears faster than steel, and the shaft is likely just fine. At some later point with many more hours, you will pull the entire clutch/trans cover off to do the bearing, wp shaft, wp seal and oil seal. You won't be out anything if you do need a wp shaft and bearing, but it's very very likely this will fix your issue.

For now, drain coolant, then remove the rest of the wp housing/cover bolts. move the cover out of the way, put the bike in gear, spin the impeller off 10mm socket . LEFTY LOOSE, just like a regular nut. Don't lose the washer behind it, pry out the old seal with a flathead PAYING ATTENTION TO WAY IT'S IN there.. ;) Push the new seal in place with a dab of grease on the inner (usually has some from factory), tap home with a socket, put it back together.

Done'

Edited by MELK-MAN
  • Like 1

Just to make sure I'm not confused, you think I can get away with just replacing the outer seal which is #9 on the parts diagram, correct? No need to bother with the oil seal and bearing just yet?

image.jpg

Just to make sure I'm not confused, you think I can get away with just replacing the outer seal which is #9 on the parts diagram, correct? No need to bother with the oil seal and bearing just yet?

Correct
  • Like 1

When I did my 06 I started with the seals then decided to do the bearings then went overboard and did the shaft.  Needless to say ordering piece meal from Rocky mountain cost a lot more than ordering a full OEM kit from a shop on E-bay. And I should have just don't the two seals the first time anyway.  Next time it will just be the two seals since everything else is new anyway. Unless the counter balance nearing happens to go bad that is.