Sign in to follow this  

2010 TM85 oil leaking from crank case breather hose.

Hey people. 

As above I have what I thought was a right side crank seal leak and I thought it was pressurising the crankcases in the tranmission as oil has been leaking from what appears to be the oil breather tube in the top of the crankcases behind the cylinder head. I pressure tested the cases and it appears that the seals are fine. It held 10 psi for 10 minutes, with no leaks. What would make oil come out the crancse breather tube?

Many thanks in advance.

Tm4.jpg

Tm5.jpg

T8.jpg

Tm1.jpg

Tm2.jpg

Thanks Gray. I will have a look at it. It was not just a few drips.....It was a pool of oil about half the size of your palm. Also there is alot of sponging and that would suggest that it is getting past that right side crank seal but it tested all okay and held 10 psi for 10 mins. I wonder what the seal is like under vacuum?

Any other ideas? I will have alook at the weir. 

The was only about 650ml of oil in the case. 

What is the story with the foaming you are talking about?

Oil that has too great a tendency to foam when churned up can end up blowing over the top like an agitated beer.  You might pick either ATF or an oil specifically labeled for transmissions and see if that helps. 

Keep in mind that gear oil and engine oil viscosities don't compare directly with each other:

viscosity_table_2.jpg

• Like 1