Sign in to follow this  

Pirelli MT60 vs RS Corsa,,,Real SM tyre?

This is Pirelli MT60, expressed as optimized on-road & "excellent" of-road perf, a "good mixed" tyre for enduros;

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/sheet/mt_60.html

And MT60 RS Corsa, ~similar specs but more optimized for SM and Naked/sport bikes, says Pirelli;

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/sheet/mt_60_rs_corsa.html

I am happy with my RS corsas now on my 400-SM, especially front tyre :thumbsup: . Rear tyre is "big" IMO for this bike, wide contact area and heavy. Original SM rear tyre size is 140 but these Corsas are 160. I will need to replace these in max 1~2 months so now I am looking for a good 140 rear tyre.

MT60 has 140 rear but RScorsa does not. 

I think there are differences on structure of these models but do you think they are considerably different on handling/cornering performance on asphalt ?

May be Pirelli says "RS corsa is specialized for SM bikes" mostly because of their sizes, who knows...

I ride %90~95 on-road by the way.

Edited by Syanur

I'ved run Michelin Pilot Power and  totally loved them.

Now I have Road2 and never miss any grip.

I commute everyday 25km/15miles(1 way) and like to corner aggressively.  I have 10K km on it and have about 50% use on it!  I doubt I'll ever go to a softer/sportier tire for such a light bike.

I am thinking Avon distanza SM tyres 120/150 if I dont go with pirelli. 

No body used MT60 ??  :ph34r:

my understanding is the mt60 and rs corsa are the same tyre only the rs is much softer, great tyre but a 160 is just too big for the drz in my opinion,really slows it down, unless you are riding on slippery dusty roads you might want a tyre that is a bit more road orientated 

I would go for the MT60 Rs Corsa for winter wet weather use, they are a motard race tyre, have a new set in the shed for my DRZ/SM, they were going to go on this winter but have not yet, I am sure the 160 will fit, Bike has Shinko stealth radials on now, rear is a 150/60, had the same set of shinko's on my road legal cr500 for a while on a 4.5" rear 17" rim and swapped to a new set of MT60 Rs Corsa tyres, the 160/60 was almost the same width as the shinko 150/60, chain clearance was silly close on that bike at around a couple mm, I made up an L bracket from 2mm steel plate and bolted that to the swingarm with a pair of chain rollers at right angles to the chain just in front of the tyre to limit side float, this worked perfectly and never had any chain tyre rub, the guy who bought that bike ran those tyres for a few thousand k's, they do not last but stick well. I was using the rs corsa's on 90% gravel back road with short sealed sections, they were great on the sealed stuff, worked better than expected in the gravel, obviously way better than the shinko stealth radials in the gravel and better in the wet sealed section, but in the dry there are probably better tyres if your only doing sealed ashfelt.  The SM's have an excellent chain guard on the swingarm to limit chain side float and I am expecting the MT60 160/60 will fit without issues, I run the DID VT2 x ring chains as they are thin, that helps, the chain is an enduro race chain designed for use on MX bikes like the honda CR's where there is almost no side clearance to the engine cases at the front sprocket, happens to be a great chain for the DRZ as well.

I guess the type of road your running on has a lot to do with the tyre choice once you decided about budget and how long you need them to last.

RS-corsa will fit DRZ-SM with no problem. I've been using them and they are ~4 years old. Still very very good handling, braking and cornering for front tyer. The rear is almost flat..Bec. of too much drift on asphalt. Still reliable on wet, both of them. They are soft and stands soft for years.

What ı wonder, MT60 is good enogh for road ? I can handle it on dry. But I don't now their wet perf. I don't expect it to be good as RS-corsa but I will give it a chance for rear tyre I think. Front will be RS-corsa again.

Yeap, I got MT60 (not RScorsa) 140/80-17 to rear and MT60RScorsa 120/70-17 to front. Put them yesterday.

Couldn't test yet but I will give info later. 

By the way bec rear is %80 height (140/80) it is almost exactly same as stock bike with 39 rear sprocket. I was complaining about 6000rpm/100kmh. This will be a bit better I think for highway ride.

those are very old tyres, RS were around 10 years ago on  european 625-640ktm . if you like that kind of tyre next time i'd choose a newer one, for example dunlop mutant.

imho  for 95% street a street tyre would be better. in europe you can find modern high perfomance 140/70 tyres ( pirelli rosso2 , s-20evo, contiattack sm) 

I didn't know RS were that much old.... But still gives perfect perf. for me, front especially.

We used rosso2 and only 1 year later,,, I can say they become stone! when we think their price. I didn't liked them. 4 years old RS gives much better grip still.

Contiattack sm are great but short life. And expensive. 

MT60 is not cheap but I hope it last long. 

Next time I am thinking to try Heindau K80... Have no idea about Dunlops. 

which rosso 2 did you fit? 140/70 is different from other sizes: softer compound, more spaced thread , same carcass of supercorsa.

i did not notice such a big decrease in grip. i can run it at the track near the end of its life, while on the street it is rideable without problems till the end (to be honest i wear them in a few months so i never tested them over a long period of time).

this is mine 140/70 , notice the more spaced thread and the pear shape, perfect for leaning the bike

dr1o.jpg

Edited by 30x26

I don't underestimate you but I can run almost anything to near of its end of life and limit at track. Good asphalt can handle most of the tires. ;)

We used rosso2 on duke200 150 for rear and 110 front. At the beginning it was just amazing. And perfect at wet. But now (1 year later) rear can drift (slip) when that 200cc bike open the throttle on dry  :thumbsdn:  And the front started to give up very earlier, we are not happy with it also. We really surprised actually. They get warm very late now. So I decided to not go with Rosso2. But you said 140 is different, I didn't know that. Hope will keep good perf. for you :thumbsup:  For rosso2 I can say that after 1 year they grip well on good surface like most of the other tyres, but on slippery asphalt(which we have a lot around here) disappointing...

Conti atack SM, S20/evo, D.Mutant, CorsaRS, AvonDistanza SM.... those do not have 140 for rear  :smashpc:

I decided to go with 140 at rear bec when I got the bike, there was 160 "flat" rear RScorsa. I wondered how it will be with a 140.

I think you are happy with rosso2,  :cheers:

contiattack sm and s-20 evo have a 140/70 :thumbsup:

usually 140/80/17 tyres are built with 3-3.5 inches rim in mind, they can be fitted over a 4.5 rim but the shape will be noticeably flatter than it should be.

150/60 is the best size for a 4.5 rim

Edited by 30x26
  • Like 1