Sign in to follow this  

Hi I'm looking at buying a 1988 rm80... He wants 300 needs new piston and rings... Was wondering if the cylinder head can be repaired or welded.

I'm sure it can be tig'd or mig'd, but will it be worth the effort. 

Not so much the initial expense of the welding repair, but possible problems that may be on the horizon from a bike that age. 

Is it going to be a beginner/starter bike, race bike, or just a play bike?

Hi thanks for the reply. I have a yz426 that I usually ride,, was just a bike everyone can ride , learn on.. while away. The rest off the bike is in preety good condition. Everything is there. Bottom end looks n feels preety fresh. Been garaged for the last 10 years..If I can repair the head I think it'll be worth it as for a new piston on ebay was about 100 for the wiseco. I'll offer him 200 250.. Probly be bout 450 in total. What's your oppionion... Was either that or a thumpster.. And it say bring on the 2stroke... On the pipe

I think it would make a great play bike. 

Maybe offer 200 and end up at 250.

This way when you're done, it's paid for.

And if they trash the bike, you're not out that much. lol

One more thing; maybe check and see what a new or used cylinder costs, so you'll have something to base the cylinder repair against.

I also have a 83 mdl rm80 that needs a stator, rotor,airbox, carby so I might use the parts on that one till I get the 88mdl ready to go. Does anyone no if these parts will fit the 83 mdl