Something slipped

I was tightening a bigger flywheel on my. 09 450

and had the bike in 5th gear and a bar thru the rear sprocket to try and lock everything up( I don't have a flywheel holder).

When tightening it got to a point which I felt something slip and the nut wasn't at correct torque setting yet. The rear wheel was locked up so I thort it was maybe something in the transmission giving way. I than just tightened the nut in smaller torque values untill I got to what the manual indicates.

I checked the bike for TDC to perform the decomp spring mod and the cam gear line was inline with the head so I figured it wouldn't be the cam chain slipping.

Tho once everything was back together I kicked it over and the Kickstarter wouldn't return at times and or slow and felt loose tho it did start and didn't make any odd noises and it ran around the yard ok and once warmed up it kicked over fine and the Kickstarter seemed to return to normal.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may of happened with what slipped and would it be cause for concern?

Although I don't have an answer for "what slipped" but I will say that a bar through the rear sprocket is not the best way to do it. The resistance has too far to travel before reaching its stopping point. I don't have a flywheel holder either. I have successfully held them at the clutch basket before but what I like to do is take the right side cover off and use a penny between gears as a holder. That way I know the crankshaft is solid and I'm not putting any strain on anything else

• Like 1

Ah ok, the Kickstarter was really odd after I put everything back together but after having it running it has seemed to have sorted itself out. But I was curious about these timing marks, thanks for the replys