Sign in to follow this  

Keeping new bikes looking new?

I just bought a brand new, 0 miles, klx250 for commuting and weekend fun. What are some things that can be down outside of the normal maintainsnce to keep the bike looking great!!

Back in my 4x4ing days we would spray down the inner fenders and under carriage with Pam cooking oil so when we wash after a romp the mud would come right off!

Any tricks out there to keep our bikes looking new??

Cheers

I wash the grime off then spray it down with Spray Nine degreaser (its BIODEGRADABLE), then rinse again. She comes out looking brand new. Way cheaper then buying actual bike cleaner and works just as good if not better.

Get the degreaser and go to the store (I learned this after 10 years of using a squirt bottle) and buy one of those pressure pump things they use for weed killler etc..   Works so damn good and cost like 10-20 bucks.

• Like 2

I use spray silicone. But will try the above methods too. They sound smooth.

1408554375209.jpg

Soap and water, as long as you wash it frequently. I wash my bike after every ride still looks brand spanking new since 2011 also some armorall or Black Magic doesn't hurt

Edited by Tlopez

Get the degreaser and go to the store (I learned this after 10 years of using a squirt bottle) and buy one of those pressure pump things they use for weed killler etc.. Works so damn good and cost like 10-20 bucks.

I use those pumps at work with industrial brake clean, super harsh fumes though, neighbours might think I'm making meth. I currently use joy dish soap, hot water and a brush for metal parts, and laundry detergent and hot water for plastics. I'm thinking using Pam or wd40 as a pretreatment will just collect road grime...

I just bought a brand new, 0 miles, klx250 for commuting and weekend fun. What are some things that can be down outside of the normal maintainsnce to keep the bike looking great!!

Back in my 4x4ing days we would spray down the inner fenders and under carriage with Pam cooking oil so when we wash after a romp the mud would come right off!

Cheers

Armour all works wonders on the seat and tank.

I pressure clean to remove the heavy stuff then scrub with a soft brush with truck wash and warm water.

After the wash I blow off standing water with compressed air and spray CRC into any places that may trap water. Lube up the chain after it has been comprehensively sprayed with CRC and the leave the bike uncovered to dry completely.

Generally I will armor all the seat and plastics too but that does make it a bit slippery and contributes to arm pump.

My bikes tend to stay looking mint for a long time. One thing I would add though is that, although I'm more fussy than most, it doesn't pay to dwell too much on keeping it looking like it did when it came out of the show room because it takes the fun out of riding it. By all means do what you can to keep it pretty but it was made to get dirty.

• Like 1

Not sure if this pic does any justice but after cleaning the bike, I towel dry it and then after an hour or so I WD40 the metal parts and SC1 the plastics and body parts (as mentioned in my previous post). I sprayed the SC1 on my bike last weekend after cleaning it and was getting it ready tonight and figured I'd snap a pic to show. It is especially visible on the tank and airboot. I'm a big fan and it helps keep my bikes looking good. Also, when I go to the track it acts like a film, which helps with washing when I'm done (not counting when it is really muddy, obviously). The dirt comes off much easier.

sc1_zps88a2df1f.jpg

Cheers

Honestly, time and money are how you keep a bike clean and new looking. Time to do the maintenance, money to keep parts and plastics fresh.

...don't ride it.

This.

*Dirt* bike or garage queen? 

Knock the big chunks off with a garden hose when you get home if it's real bad.

Otherwise, ride it and enjoy it for what it is.

If you really want it to look "new", rip it all apart, clean everything, replace the plastics, and put it all back together.

This bike's got 750 hours, over 22,000 miles on it.  This summer I did that whole rip it apart, clean everything, some new plastics, and reassemble.

DSC_3774_-L.jpg