Sign in to follow this  

Time for the first Oil change

I'm just wondering what you all have to say about what oil to use. As it stands for me there are 2 kinds of oil. Regular and synthetic and to me oil is oil it all is a million years old to start with. With the exception of synthetic but I won't put in synthetic oil in anything I own until it has more than 3000 miles or 300 hours on it. due to I think that it prevents any motor form fully wearing in. What do you all got to say?

I run the honda regular-ol' oil. Nothing fancy. They can't tell me I ran the wrong fluids. It works.

Most of us here--changed out the crap Honda oil at bout 4 or 500 miles--I then put in 10/40 Mobil one T-4 syn--w/o any problems the engine most likely was broken in at 200 miles--to each his own--remember the search engine is your friend  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've been changing oil every 500 - 600 miles, using Honda GN4. Next spring I should be around 3000 miles and I'll be changing to semi or full synthetic every 6 months (unless instructed otherwise by the gurus here). Word of caution, DO NOT TORQUE THE OIL FILTER COVER BOLTS.

• Like 2

I've ran what Honda has recommended (10/30 oil) sense day one, plus you don't have to get a new filter gasket every time you change your oil ( didn't know if you knew that) it's a metal gasket unless you bend it

• Like 1

Word of caution, DO NOT TORQUE THE OIL FILTER COVER BOLTS.

+10,000 ....  :thumbsup:   

More than just a few have broken oil filter cover bolts .... BE CAREFUL ....  :prof:  you have been warned ....  :p

• Like 1

So tighten the cover bolts just snug. that's what I have done with my 3 wheelers for years.

Long live the honda atc. 30+ years old and still showing up your 4 wheelers.

i didn't have my first (had two) Big Red a half hour b/f i tipped it over--the 4 wheelers i've had for 15 + years and never tipped one over YET!!they do run forever tho!!

I have a 250sx, 250big red, 250r,& a 350x & had some others also rolled the sx meny times screwing around. They require the respect of a bike hence the atc designation (all terrain cycle) I got my first 4 wheeler this spring 96 polaris 350l first trail ride and it tipped over on a hill I've been on many times with the 3 wheelers.

• Like 2

I've ran what Honda has recommended (10/30 oil) sense day one, plus you don't have to get a new filter gasket every time you change your oil ( didn't know if you knew that) it's a metal gasket unless you bend it

Good info on the gasket!

I know you need the drain plug gasket right? But those are standard in the sense of any crush washer.

Good info on the gasket!

I know you need the drain plug gasket right? But those are standard in the sense of any crush washer.

I've never got a new one. I just figured it's like any other oil plug on any other motor, I haven't had any oil leaks yet.

I've never got a new one. I just figured it's like any other oil plug on any other motor, I haven't had any oil leaks yet.

I think you are right, i've always just flipped it and looked for heavy scoring...  

Either way this is good info for the DIY guys who are just getting into wrenching ;) I was just trying to spark conversation about it.

I think you are right, i've always just flipped it and looked for heavy scoring...

Either way this is good info for the DIY guys who are just getting into wrenching ;) I was just trying to spark conversation about it.

that's cool....I've been wrenching for a long time and I just found out on this form that there's two types of Phillips screws the standard screws and the japan screws. I'll have to find where I read that and post here
  • Like 1

I used syn blend honda 10-40. 3500 miles now.

My buddy just traded his banshee for a atc 250r w old school legit serial # cr 500 conversion. Should be fun for sand drags at silver lake.

• Like 2

that's cool....I've been wrenching for a long time and I just found out on this form that there's two types of Phillips screws the standard screws and the japan screws. I'll have to find where I read that and post here

Yep, their called JIS screwdrivers. (Japanese industrial standard)

Search "Vessel" brand, top quality.

Here's a link, 3 piece standard set is what I use- you'll never go back to Phillips after using these puppies..

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-(japanese-industrial-standard)-screwdrivers/=tet93e

Edited by humbug
  • Like 3

Hope all went well on your oil change, I just changed mine (262 miles) with some Amsoil 10w40 synthetic.. (no need to rant on what I chose,  not my first rodeo) and just used a stock honda oil filter.

That stuff that was in it didn't look that bad (the oil filter was TRASHED but I expected that based upon new bike) but at least now I know exactly where I stand for the oil on this bike.

I will not be waiting 8k to change the oil, maximum 2k is what i've decided based upon my riding style ;) ($30 is a cheap reassurance)

I'll see if my mind is changed during this 2k oil change to see if I want to push it longer.

• Like 2