250 2 stroke vs 450 4 stroke

I believe stock for stock a modern 450 will run away from a 250. The 450 makes more power everywhere under the peak and similar power at the peak. It is a bit heavier but not heavy enough to let the 250 get away.

You want grunt and to feel acceleration get a 450.

Edited by D4N63R
  • Like 1

I believe stock for stock a modern 450 will run away from a 250. The 450 makes more power everywhere under the peak and similar power at the peak. It is a bit heavier but not heavy enough to let the 250 get away.

You want grunt and to feel acceleration get a 450.

agreed, coming from my yz 250 smoker to my fuel injected 450 its like riding a 250 2 stroke at peak power 24\7

Someone just needs to do a big 1/8 mile dirt race with every size of bike. Which is silly really. 'I want the fastest bike' great! Awesome! Until some whiz kid on a 125 comes along and makes us all look like we are standing still haha.

pros

250 - lighter, cheaper, easier to fix and maintain, handles better

450 - more torque, smoother power

cons- 

250 - traction, power delivery

450 - cost, maintenance, weight, cornering and handling

I've owned both. I prefer the 250. The 450 has a great motor but none of you guys need or can handle all that power. A 250 2t corners far better, is a lot less top heavy and I've always felt far better riding one. The 450 is top heavy and feels like a tank compared to the cheaper to own, buy and fix 2 stroke.