Sign in to follow this  

BITD Vegas to Reno Team Shark Kage

This last Friday was the start of the longest off-road race held in the United States called the Best In The Desert Vegas to Reno. Team Shark Kage decided about 2 weeks before the event that we needed to get a team together and race the grueling 540 mile desert race. We didn't have much time to prepare and had finished prepping our race bike about 3 am the night before the race. Working off of about 45 minutes of sleep the first bikes were taking off the start line at 5:45 AM. This was the first desert race other than some smaller races only about 3 hours that I have raced before in my racing career. Me and Cort (my teammate) have never been in this race before and had no expectations whatsoever. Our mission was to just have fun, be safe, and finish the race. While waiting for Cort to arrive at pit 3 I was very nervous and excited at the same time to have my first portion of the 540 mile long race. The track was very well laid out and marked by Casey Folks and the BITD crew who helped put this race together. As soon as I took off I fell instantly in love with desert racing and the different way you see and attack things over other styles of racing. One of my favorite parts of this whole experience was being tested not only physically but mentally. The most challenging part was holding the bike wide open tapped out in the nasty thick dust not being able to see if you are going to hit a big rock or a washed out rain rut. What I also fell in love with was seeing Nevada in a different way than I have even seen it before. Just seeing the terrain change along with the scenery as we marched our way up to Reno is something I will never forget. Going over a dry lake bed at speeds of over 90 MPH and seeing things that I have never seen before. Needless to say I am completely in love with the desert and the beauty that it brings to the world. I did my final 70 mile portion and handed the bike off to Cort for the last leg of the race. Me and the pit crew took off to the finish line anxiously awaiting him to come across the finish line. We heard the trucks were breathing right down our necks making us all nervous. When we saw him pull up to the finish line we were all excited, relieved, and STOKED that the Shark Kage team finished the entire 540 mile race without any major issues. We finished the race in 12 hours and 24 minutes right behind the first trophy truck of Jason Voss. Our team/pit crew of only 4 guys and one chase truck finished the grueling race and we ended up finishing 7th Open Expert and 43rd overall. I cannot wait to race the next BITD race in the future and I am very thankful for the entire Shark Kage team for this amazing experience. Thank you SHARK KAGE!!! https://sharkkage.com/

2hr1q4o.png

• Like 4

Awesome and well done! :thumbsup: From a motocross background, I can say it takes a special breed to lay it out there WFO across the desert - something, I don't think I could do.

• Like 1

Awesome and well done! :thumbsup: From a motocross background, I can say it takes a special breed to lay it out there WFO across the desert - something, I don't think I could do.

Thank you for the support. Was definitely a different racing experience for me. I am used to WORCS grand prix style and motocross style races. This race was extremely fun but is very dangerous. I really don't know how the top pro bikes go so fast through that terrain. They are crazy fast!!! 

• Like 2