Future Relic or just another ol bike - 01 CR250

Hey Guys, I'm having a tough time trying to figure out what to do here.  I've got a pretty nice, clean 01 CR250 that I bought a couple of years ago.  I decided it was too nice to ride in the woods, so it spends most of its time sitting.  I probably haven't even burnt a combined tank of gas though it total.  It's not bone stock though.  It has a full pipe, V-force reeds, pwk carb and handlebars/controls, but still has the factory look going for it with the seat and plastics.

Now the question, do I sell it or keep it?  I've got several other bikes that I prefer to ride (although this CR puts a big grin on my face playing in the yard) and I could kinda use the space.  It's not eating anything and I don't have to have the money, but I really have no use for it.  Is this a future Elsinore 20 years down the road or just another bike and if I moved it down the road, I wouldn't regret it.

Great bike but overated at the same time. I would never trade my 3rd gen for one. If you love it, keep it. If not, sell it.

Not a great bike, but agree with some of these comments.  The 01 is overrated & feel the 93-96 bikes have better oem porting specs on the cyl. from the factory.  Both myself & a good friend having owned an 01 & also  owning a 93 & the friend a 96 we both think the 93-96 models are better.  Till this day we both regret selling the older models we use to race back in the day & don't really ever mention the 01.        

Doesn't matter if it was "the best CR Honda made"....what matters is if you can find a buyer that wants a clean 2001 and will pay the money you think its worth.

If you like riding it every once and a while and don't need the money I say hold onto it....if its in as good as shape as you say then it will not depreciate anymore ....unless Honda starts building 2 strokes again.

A really clean 2001 now is worth $2500 to $3000 in most markets....a POS that was beat to death and neglected is worth about half that (or less).  IMO that gap will only get bigger as it becomes harder and harder to find a clean 2 stroke Honda.  New bikes go up in price every year and when they do your clean 2001 will as well.  Its not going to be worth $5k any time soon but I could see you getting $3500 in the next few years

Doesn't matter if it was "the best CR Honda made"....what matters is if you can find a buyer that wants a clean 2001 and will pay the money you think its worth.

If you like riding it every once and a while and don't need the money I say hold onto it....if its in as good as shape as you say then it will not depreciate anymore ....unless Honda starts building 2 strokes again.

A really clean 2001 now is worth $2500 to $3000 in most markets....a POS that was beat to death and neglected is worth about half that (or less).  IMO that gap will only get bigger as it becomes harder and harder to find a clean 2 stroke Honda.  New bikes go up in price every year and when they do your clean 2001 will as well.  Its not going to be worth $5k any time soon but I could see you getting $3500 in the next few years

Sure hope your right. Maybe I can get back all the money I wasted on suspension revalves.  :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

I very happy with my 01...and here's why

1. I'm in it cheap

2. I have just as much fun on it as I have had on any other bike I've owned.

3. I can ride any gnarly trail section that my ride buddies can on their $10,000.00 Betas.

4. The bike is bullet proof and I do very little maintance.

5. Did I say I'm in it cheap?

As much as I love to ride I just can't justify spending 10G on a bike anymore.

I very happy with my 01...and here's why

1. I'm in it cheap

2. I have just as much fun on it as I have had on any other bike I've owned.

3. I can ride any gnarly trail section that my ride buddies can on their $10,000.00 Betas.

4. The bike is bullet proof and I do very little maintance.

5. Did I say I'm in it cheap?

As much as I love to ride I just can't justify spending 10G on a bike anymore.

I like cheap too hence reason for always wanting a 15

Year old backup 250 smoker. That said I enjoy my 300 more. The extra height of bike and broad torque is great.

What gets me is the wide praise of the 00/01 cr250 by off road guys. Have they ridden the same years KX or YZ? Far far more capable motors with excellent trail power. Ok at least the KX 98/99 motor vs the 00/01 series. I just stumbled across one and I'm happy I did. ?

I like cheap too hence reason for always wanting a 15

Year old backup 250 smoker. That said I enjoy my 300 more. The extra height of bike and broad torque is great.

What gets me is the wide praise of the 00/01 cr250 by off road guys. Have they ridden the same years KX or YZ? Far far more capable motors with excellent trail power. Ok at least the KX 98/99 motor vs the 00/01 series. I just stumbled across one and I'm happy I did. ?

You make a good point about the other brands. But there is just something about the 01 that causes many to not let go. And in the long run I really do feel the absolute reliability/durability of the CR is unmatched. Especially the little things. I will keep my 01 until I have to quit riding, I have wasted far too much $$$$ on bad suspension to let it go now.

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 1

You make a good point about the other brands. But there is just something about the 01 that causes many to not let go. And in the long run I really do feel the absolute reliability/durability of the CR is unmatched. Especially the little things. I will keep my 01 until I have to quit riding, I have wasted far too much $$$$ on bad suspension to let it go now.

So, did you finally get your suspension sorted out?