Sign in to follow this  

Drz400 retaining bracket removal

So Im trying to install a kickstarter to a 06 DRZ400.  I got the engine all taken apart, clutch hub etc... the very last thing it wants me to do before putting stuff back in is to remove a retaining bracket in the back that holds in some kind of bushing. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to take this stupid bitch off cause it's pissing me off? I've been stuck on this thing for the last week trying to get the two phillips head screws out that hold in the retaining bracket. They are tight as ****. I went out and got a impact driver. No luck. Even my buddy tried it and nothing. So went back and bought a torch... heated it up a bit... cooled it off then tried again. No luck. Yesterday went and got some EZ Out drill bits and even those aren't working. One screw is all mucked up from everything I tried. The other isn't stripped yet but heading in that direction if I keep messin with it and its not budging either. 

Any ideas on how to get these stupid things out?

Edited by acesneverwin

Did you use a hand impact driver (hit with a hammer) or a rattle gun?

Assuming you used the impact driver and not the impact gun:

My fallback method for removing stripped screws with nothing else works involves a cold chisel and a BFH.

Pound a notch in the head near the edge deep enough to get a good bite with the chisel, then hit the chisel on an angle until the bolt turns. Will take a few good whacks but the screw will come out.

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

Yes I can tell you exactly how to remove the screws.  But it takes care and patience, otherwise your problems will just get worse.

Use the hand impact driver on the good screw.  It needs a good fitting #3 Phillips bit.  Take the bit out of the driver and tap it into the screw first.  A medium whack with a steel hammer will seat the bit.  Now put the bit back in the impact driver.  Set the driver to remove the screw. Place the impact driver on the screw.  Hold it straight on with no pre-torque.  Now good solid whack with about a 1 pound steel hammer.  If it needs another whack, check the impact driver first, they often jump to "tighten" position.  The key to success is a good fitting bit and holding the impact driver straight on with no pre-torque. (you want the hammer blow to first seat the bit before it applies torque)

Success? hopefully.  With 1 screw out you can probably turn the whole retaining bar to loosen the other screw.

No success?   You will have to drill the heads off the screws. But first pre-drill a center hole for an extractor bit.  The Phillips head offers a good center to start a drill.  The screw is a 6mm.  Tap drill for 6mm is 5mm (.197") so you want to stay smaller than that.  Start with a 1/8" drill.  Go as straight as you can.  Drill all the way thru the screw. Now go to a 1/4" drill bit just to take the head off. Now the retaining bar should be free and you just have to get the rest of the screw out of the hole. They should spin out quit easily.  If the 1/8 hole in on center you can use a 3/16" left hand drill bit. Hopefully that will spin what is left of the screw right out.  If the 1/8 hole is not so good, use a square taper style screw extractor.  Try it first in the 1/8 hole.  If necessary the hole can be opened up to about 5/32. Lightly tap the extractor in the hole and  turn the remainder of the screw out.

• Like 1

Well thanks for the advice... Now I have some ideas for next time regarding the impact driver. I didn't see the second post till after I got the screws out... but pretty much that's what I ended up doing. I didn't drill the heads off, I found two left handed drill bits and drilled down a ways with the smallest bit first... think it was a 1/8 Then went to a 3/16 and kept drilling with that... it was a tough process cause I didn't wanna ruin anything but long story short as I was drilling with the larger bit, the screws eventually popped and unscrewed. Messed up some threads a little on one hole but just barely, and it's ok. The other had a perfect center so didn't hurt nothin there.

You have no idea how good it feels to have those out. Think Im gonna wait till tomorrow to do anything else with it because I need a break from lookin at that bike lol.

Thanks a lot for the tips, now I know how I should go about it next time if I ever end up in a situation like this. 

• Like 1