Sign in to follow this  

2009 CRF450r valves

Hi all, I'm in the process of checking my valves for the first time on my 09. I have a shop manual and have watched on YouTube how everyone else does this task. No matter how I try I can't fit my feeler gauges in between the lobes and lifters. My bike isn't over hard to start but was beginning to take a little more effort to get going. Is there a trick to this and eventually I will get better at it or are my valves actually zero'd out.

Yep, if you can't fit a. 001" feeler gauge in there, they've closed up on you. Sorry!

OR, you don't have the engine exactly at TDC and on the compression stroke. I will assume you know what I am taking about...

• Like 1

Agreed you may not be at tdc....and it don't help that the 09+ is a pain in the ace to get a feeler into to get a good reading compared to the 02-08 lol.

• Like 1

Another way of doing it is to position the valve lobes so they are not compressing the valves and then check clearances. It’s a "quick and dirty" method, although not as sure as having the piston at TDC. 

• Like 1

Thanks all! I'm sure I am at TDC and will double check its on the compression stroke...the lobes are pointing to the rear end of the bike I believe. I sure hope they are not closed up on me.