forks to fit 02 cr 250?

Hey all, looking for a new set of front forks for my gen3 250. Which ones will fit plug and play - or - with small mods? Would be thankful for a short list of items needed for each swap.

How about just getting another set of cr forks and have them revalved... I don't see any benefit in going to other forks.

I did, but 12 year old forks that are sold by MX bike breakers are likely to be in bad shape. I bought a set and the guy said "they´re good" and guess what? They´re defective. Both chromed areas with scratches and dings in the tubes. I´d rather buy a newer set of forks. Just need to know what I can fit in there. Maybe newer CRF forks?

• Like 1

I did, but 12 year old forks that are sold by MX bike breakers are likely to be in bad shape. I bought a set and the guy said "they´re good" and guess what? They´re defective. Both chromed areas with scratches and dings in the tubes. I´d rather buy a newer set of forks. Just need to know what I can fit in there. Maybe newer CRF forks?

Did you not read my first reply?

I´d rather buy a newer set of forks. Just need to know what I can fit in there. Maybe newer CRF forks?

Any CRF forks up to 2008 will fit perfectly on the CR250. THe newer CRF forks, starting in 2009 (or later, not sure) are now using 48mm diameter outer tubes, whereas our CR250 are 47mm. So if the newer CRF forks is your preference, then you will need to also get the newer triple clamps too. Öhlins is also a good alternative, although they're not as efficient as a set of B kit Showa.

So you´re saying the outer diameter of the fork legs are the same for the CR 250 and the CRF 450 up to 2008? DId I understand that right?

Yes, all the Honda CRF Showa forks are 47mm up to 2008. I2009 - current the CRF450R got KYB 48mm Forks.  The 2010- current CRF250R got the 48mm Showa, which is a knockoff of the KYB 48mm.  The 2009-2014 CRF250x and 450x still retains the 47mm forks.

I've swapped between 02 / 03 forks & they have the older brake caliper bracket.   If you go with the newer forks 04 -08 or 09 crf250 then you would need the newer bracket unless you changed the axle holder piece.  I thought about changing the axle holder when I upgraded to the 07 CR forks, but decided it would be easier to just buy the newer bracket.