Sign in to follow this  

Which bike out of these two?

I passed my motorcycle test recently, so looking for something bigger than a 125. I've found two bikes on ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151386949574?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231308816987?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

PE.JPG

yam.JPG

I want to do some green laning, practice down the farm and maybe some local enduros after gaining some experience. Only need a bike road registered to get to the trials.

I like classics a lot, plus I could enter into classic competitions with my local club with the PE. It has got drum brakes though and no electric start, so might be tricky if I stall it somewhere awkward. I've also heard 2 strokes are harder work up hills, particularly the smaller capacity ones. Looks like a very clean bike though.

But the yam would probably be better green laning and for occasional road use. I have been told that the engines aren't brilliant on modern 4 strokes because all of the components have been made lighter to reduce the overall weight of the bike. I've been told to get a WR250f before, and they do seem like very nice bikes.

I have been looking at Honda XR250s but it's been difficult to find one in a tidy condition.

There is also the option of getting a trials bike, but they are difficult to find road registered and probably wouldn't be suited to trail riding (with the exception of some of the old school twin shocks)

Just not sure what I want really, that's the problem...

Please note that the WR250F is not a 2007 as advertised.  It is probably an 05-06 from the looks of it.  Unless Yamaha did something differently inthe UK market than elsewhere, they went to aluminum frames in 2007.  It makes me suspicious about the bike in general but WR250F's are good bikes...even the steel frame version.  This would be better for occasional street use.

The old Suzuki looks great, but its ancient....it wont hold up to abuse and it will be tough to find parts.

It's a bit strange with the WR, the advert says its done around 2500 miles, and yet new tyres have been put on? And it does look like the plastics have been damaged. Thanks for pointing out the age discrepancy SilvFx.

Getting a tidy Wr is the problem, I can't spend much above 2000- 2200.