Sign in to follow this  

More torque from a 06' 300 XC-W? Porting?

I ride at 10,000ft+ and I'm trying to get a little more torque from the engine. 

So far my mods are a shaved head, decked cylinder (Slavens), 36mm smart carb and the red PV spring.  These mods have helped a TON with the thin air, and the bike really rips, but I still wish for a little more bottom end.

Slavens no longer does their mule mods (porting and polishing), so who is the go to person for porting?

And since I'm going to be giving up the engine for a bit, are there any other mods I should get done at the same time?  I'm not really looking for more HP when it's on the pipe, but more mid and low end.

I'd be willing to put ~$1K into the engine if needed.

Edit:  I should also mention that I'm swapping gearing from 13-50 to 13-52 as soon as my new chain and sprockets arrive.... maybe that will also help??

Edited by Colorado^

A Gnarly pipe??? Not sure what's on an 06 XCW.

But at the expense of top end though, right?  I don't want move the power around, I just want more bottom and keep the top intact, in all it's glory.

Sx ignition will help it.

Can i do that to a 06' ?

Friday Bump!

I wanna get my engine ported, but no idea who to trust with this job. 

Slavens make it sound so good...

he Mule Port & Polish/Cylinder Decking/Head Mod combination offers a significant boost to the low-end and mid-range torque and horsepower. It’s NOT a minor change that you can barely notice, it’s a major boost. The increased torque and horsepower produces smooth power delivery which makes it much easier to ride, increases traction, and enables using a taller gear in most situations. - See more at: http://slavensracing.com/services/ktm-2-stroke-services/ktm-2-stroke-engine-services/#sthash.mcySvs8z.dpuf
he Mule Port & Polish/Cylinder Decking/Head Mod combination offers a significant boost to the low-end and mid-range torque and horsepower. It’s NOT a minor change that you can barely notice, it’s a major boost. The increased torque and horsepower produces smooth power delivery which makes it much easier to ride, increases traction, and enables using a taller gear in most situations. - See more at: http://slavensracing.com/services/ktm-2-stroke-services/ktm-2-stroke-engine-services/#sthash.mcySvs8z.dpuf

Thanks orangy!

Not a problem! I had slavens cut my head for me, but I really haven't had any need to do motor work apart from the squish. That is the good thing about michigan I guess, around 800-1000 feet above sea level, so I don't have the power loss issues that you would @ those altitudes.

Not a problem! I had slavens cut my head for me, but I really haven't had any need to do motor work apart from the squish. That is the good thing about michigan I guess, around 800-1000 feet above sea level, so I don't have the power loss issues that you would @ those altitudes.

Yep, it's the one thing that sucks about CO.  At least these engines respond so well to the mods.

Edited by Colorado^

More tourque.... Hmmmmm... I would think a KTM/CR500 conversion would be the next best option..

The service honda's look nice and might be an option in the future, but this 300 is pretty close to where I want it.

Just got a ride into today with the new pipe (old one did not seal well at the engine), leaner jetting and 13-52 gearing.  It felt better/faster, so it's getting closer.  Hopefully with some porting work it will be perfect.  Even with the lower gearing it still pulled to 74mph (ran out of room to go faster).