Sign in to follow this  

2015 KTM 300 XC or 350 XC-F

I know Dirt Rider did a comparison but I'm still on the fence. I ride in the woods, primarily at Chadwick MO. I currently have an '06 YZ250.

Edited by redrider144

The KTM 300XC is probably the best reviewed bike on this forum. I haven't seen anyone who wasn't happy with it. I don't have much to add, as I've never ridden one... 

I'm extremely happy with my 200XCW for what it's worth. 

• Like 1

The KTM 300XC is probably the best reviewed bike on this forum. I haven't seen anyone who wasn't happy with it. I don't have much to add, as I've never ridden one... 

I'm extremely happy with my 200XCW for what it's worth. 

I know I would be happy with the 300 XC.  I'm leaning towards the 350 due to fuel injection, and smoother power.  I don't know what the 350 is like in slow rocky stuff though.  Four strokes can have a tendency to be jerky when you're on/off throttle in rocky nasty stuff, whereas two-strokes are smooth as silk.  

The nice thing about four strokes though is more traction and a smoother hit.  The YZ250 is getting to be a handful now that I don't ride as much.  When I was on my game it was the greatest bike ever.  Now not so much.  

Too bad the 300 XC isn't fuel injected, that would probably sway me.  

I am curious to hear your reasoning?

OP, that sounds like a tough decision....maybe you could get both ;)

Those 350s are a awesome motor....I'm too big for a 250f and 450f can be exhausting to ride if you don't ride much. The 350 is the perfect balance. A little soft on the bottom but that's what makes it manageable....Virtually everyone I know who has jumped from a 250 2t to a 350 has become faster. Throw in the electric start, 6spd and lighting capabilities and you have the making for a pretty dam good machine. I still don't know if I would be "that" much faster one one during a race but as a overall play bike they are the cats meow..... Even a 450xcf would be killer with a EXC 6th gear....

• Like 2

Those 350s are a awesome motor....I'm too big for a 250f and 450f can be exhausting to ride if you don't ride much. The 350 is the perfect balance. A little soft on the bottom but that's what makes it manageable....Virtually everyone I know who has jumped from a 250 2t to a 350 has become faster. Throw in the electric start, 6spd and lighting capabilities and you have the making for a pretty dam good machine. I still don't know if I would be "that" much faster one one during a race but as a overall play bike they are the cats meow..... Even a 450xcf would be killer with a EXC 6th gear....

Yeah it sounds like the perfect balance of machine for sure. I'm just so die hard two stroke that I don't know if I could convert...lol. Every article I have read on the 350 has highly praised it. When the kids are gone and I can afford more than one bike I would love to have a 350, a 300, a 125 two stroke, a 500exc, and a 500 two stroke. That should just about cover the spectrum...lol (ok, I'm dreaming now). For now I'll have to live with just the 300 :). Plus I get to rip on the son's 125 whenever I want.

Thanks for your opinion on the 350, but you never stressed why you prefer it to a 300. Is it because you consider the 300 too similar in power delivery to your yz and therefore would not warrant changing?

I own a 2014 KTM 300XC and I love it. However, if I had unlimited money i'd have both the 2 stroke and 4 stroke. The biggest reason I stuck with the 2 stroke is due to less cost of maintenance and more reliability.

Sounds like you should just get the 4 stroke.

I own a 2014 KTM 300XC and I love it. However, if I had unlimited money i'd have both the 2 stroke and 4 stroke. The biggest reason I stuck with the 2 stroke is due to less cost of maintenance and more reliability.

Sounds like you should just get the 4 stroke.

I hear this a lot. I don't understand it.

I have a 2008 KTM 200XCW, and a 2004 RMZ 250. Both bikes are in near perfect condition. I have less than $5k in them combined and your 300XC cost almost double that. Why not sell the 300 and buy one of each?

Yeah it sounds like the perfect balance of machine for sure. I'm just so die hard two stroke that I don't know if I could convert...lol. Every article I have read on the 350 has highly praised it. When the kids are gone and I can afford more than one bike I would love to have a 350, a 300, a 125 two stroke, a 500exc, and a 500 two stroke. That should just about cover the spectrum...lol (ok, I'm dreaming now). For now I'll have to live with just the 300 :). Plus I get to rip on the son's 125 whenever I want.

Thanks for your opinion on the 350, but you never stressed why you prefer it to a 300. Is it because you consider the 300 too similar in power delivery to your yz and therefore would not warrant changing?

300s always felt slow and boring....

300s always felt slow and boring....

Really?!?? Have you ever played around with the Yammy, Suzuki, or Sudco needles, and different PV combos? My 300 sucked forever until I finally jetted out the bugs...now I love it. Super crisp with lots of overrev... The 300's are jetted like shit from the factory, and the N8xx series needles are pretty rich. JD kits for the 300 are nothing to write home about either. Also, the jetting specs in the manual are junk too. But once jetted right they are a blast....

I've never heard anyone say a 300 felt slow. Maybe you are used to a two stroke with a little less linear power curve?

• Like 1

The 300 is insanely fast but not in your traditional rip your arms out 250mx bike fast. It's so smooth and docile and refined, you don't think your going that fast until you turn around and the rest of your group is gone. Well that's been my experience every time I get to trade bikes with the old man, I don't like my bike after riding his.

• Like 2

The 300 is insanely fast but not in your traditional rip your arms out 250mx bike fast. It's so smooth and docile and refined, you don't think your going that fast until you turn around and the rest of your group is gone. Well that's been my experience every time I get to trade bikes with the old man, I don't like my bike after riding his.

Exactly what I meant. They're fast, but a boring fast. Kinda like my 500exc vs a 450.... All KTMs feel boring slow. It's what makes them easy to ride in the bush....

• Like 2

Exactly what I meant. They're fast, but a boring fast. Kinda like my 500exc vs a 450.... All KTMs feel boring slow. It's what makes them easy to ride in the bush....

Yea to a point your right, the older models aren't so docile but their old now so that's no fun. What's cool about Ktm is the off-road bikes are what the current mx bikes were built from so in theory you could make that 500(or any off-road Ktm)run like a mx bike but then you would lose all the torquey goodness to an extent.

i would get the 350 its a good bike with strong but smooth power 

Depends on jetting and PV set-up. I can jet my 300 to hit like a ton of bricks in the mid-range....but it isn't very practical. Who cares about "feels" faster? Fact is, it IS faster. I know rider perception is everything in terms of fun factor, and fun factor is why most of us ride. But at the end of the day I'll take real fast over fake fast ;)

When jetting my son's kx-125 his input was completely skewed. He liked the bike best when it was sooooo rich on the needle that it would stumble through the mid and 100% of the power would come on like a light switch at WOT. To him it "felt" faster than a crisp, well jetted carb with more linear development of power where the revs build through the range....but in reality it was a slow turd on the rich needle...

My 300 is jetted VERY crisp with the red power valve spring installed. It starts pulling right off idle and wants to yank the heck outta your arms and wheelie like crazy in the first 3 gears. I'm not sure which part of that is boring? I must be missing something...lol.

• Like 1

I know Dirt Rider did a comparison but I'm still on the fence. I ride in the woods, primarily at Chadwick MO. I currently have an '06 YZ250.

I just came off a 2011 350XCF and moved to a 2015 300XC. TAKE THE 300XC. The 300XC has nearly as much bottom end as the 350, and will outdrag it down long moto straights. The 300 is certainly lighter, but I dont really notice a difference there. Im about a mid pack B rider. I had quite a few issues with my 350 that all had to do with the fuel injection. My TPS ($120) fried after a year and a half randomly, my fuel pump ($450) fried after I boiled my fuel in a mud race, and my current top end is low compression after just 40 hours since a piston/ring change. The 300s jetting can be tweaked in minutes compared to having to use proprietary software to adjust fuel mappings, and the motor is much easier to work on while being cheaper. Super happy as of 5.7 hours on my new 300XC. Edited by motonack

My 300 is jetted VERY crisp with the red power valve spring installed. It starts pulling right off idle and wants to yank the heck outta your arms and wheelie like crazy in the first 3 gears

I already have a YZ 250 that does that.  I"m hoping the 350F is a little more tame so I don't get worn out as quick.  Maybe I'll be able to get a 300 XC in a few years and have the best of both worlds.  

• Like 2