Sign in to follow this  

HELP GUYS OPINIONS PLEASE Missed oil hours

I just bought 3 months ago for my son of 16 a new ryan dungey 450sx-f special edition.

WHEN I BOUGHT IT, I ASK WHEN DO I BRING IN FOR FIRST SERVICE, they said 30 hours, I NEVER paid any mind to look it up for I believed the shop!

Today I bring back for what I thought was first service and they called me in and said WOW your oil is dirty, when you change it, I said this is why I am here as per your shop!

They said I missed 1 hour-10-hour, and 20 hour oil change!

The magnet on the drain plug had a lot of grey fuzzy looking matter on it, I figure mostly clutch area residue. I did not see oil filter but was also NOT alerted over its state.

My son just is a recreation woods rider, and these 30 hours a not racing.

FIRST OF ALL, I AM NOW RUNNING FOR 5 MORE HOURS AND DO AN OIL CHANGE AND LOOK FOR ANY REMAINING RESIDUE ON THE MAGNET, OR SHOULD I SAY ANYTHING OUT OF THE NORM,

NOW SHOULD I CALL KTM OF ANHERST AND EXPLAIN THIS AS I WAS TOLD AND ASK FOR MORE PROTECTION, OR YOU GUYS THINK IT MAY NOT BE A BIG DEAL, BECAUSE OF THE MAGNET HOLDING ALL PARTICULARS AND THE FILTER HOLDING THE REST AND EVEN IF FILTER WAS BLOCKED OIL IS BYPASSED AND NEVER STARVING ANYTHING, PLUS THE QUALITY OF THE FACTORY OIL?

i FEEL IF NOTHING SO SAY IS ON NEXT OIL CHANGE IM OK AND LUCKY TO BE SO, OR AM I NUTS FOR EVEN CONSIDERING THIS??????????????????

It's not a car.  You as the owner are expected to take care of the bike's basic maintenance.

The owner's manual spells things out pretty clearly.

People who own motorcycles are usually doing their own service from air filter cleanings to oil changes .... your son's friends should  have chimed in at some point.

Don't blame KTM and dont blame the dealer.

Change the oil every 5 hours with a good quality synthetic oil (MA certified) and the oil filter at 10 hours ...

I am afraid to ask about the air filter .....

no problem that i can see with missing the oil change since it is not a racer. The fuzz is normal for a KTM and will continue thru the life of the bike. I agree to catch up here and change the oil again sooner, but i would not change the filter with each oil change. Change filter every two oil changes unless you start racing or get in some water.

It's not a car. You as the owner are expected to take care of the bike's basic maintenance.

The owner's manual spells things out pretty clearly.

People who own motorcycles are usually doing their own service from air filter cleanings to oil changes .... your son's friends should have chimed in at some point.

Don't blame KTM and dont blame the dealer.

Change the oil every 5 hours with a good quality synthetic oil (MA certified) and the oil filter at 10 hours ...

I am afraid to ask about the air filter .....

ENOUGH SAID!

The initial oil is a dyno oil, its not designed to be run in the motor for anything more then a few minutes, up-to an hour maximum. The 1st and 2nd oil changes are critical to extending the longevity of the motor. Again as stated above, these things are part of the owners manual which came with your new motorcycle.

Will your motor be OK? Maybe, but it really depends on what the next oil change looks like. If it comes out clean like it should, then you could be fine. If it comes out very dirty, then maybe not. Dirty/black oil means you've got blow-by, a condition in which the piston rings are not seating properly and allowing combustion gasses to pass by the rings and into the oil. I run Motul 300V in all my bikes because its line green and you can much more easily tell if the oil is dirty, my simply looking in the sight glass on the right side of the engine.

So I'd run it and see what happens. 5hr oil changes for cheap oil and a racer ridden. 10hr oil changes for higher quality oil and non-racer.

Great answers guys EXCEPT smart asses Dexter and especially Steve!

Let me explain something here for you two, I am sure I have owned more motorcycles than you two are OLD, I know it is not a car, and I respect my investments, as well as the dealer saying to me, BRING IT BACK FOR FIRST SERVICE IN 30 HOURS. from that point I trusted he knew what the hell he was talking about and MY FAULT, did not consult the manual to see if he was telling me the truth as I should have.

Being my sons first KTM, and NEVER having a KTM before is why the dealer took me down a CHECK LIST of explanations and the service was one of them of course which I initialed when done, well guess what the dealer salesman WAS WRONG, and did not inform me of the oil service operations and timed intervals, I AM CLOSE TO 60 YEARS OLD HERE GUYS, and from your standpoint I would doubt if you two added together could equal that!

I have had dealers say 3-4 tanks of gas then bring back, certain hours bring back, but until this I have never seen anything other than a bike that was raced REQUEST the oil be changed in ONE HOUR, so well said that to, before you again disrespect an elder and a VET, for asking WHAT YOU TWO BELIEVED WAS A DUMB ASS QUESTION!

thats why they have these discussion boards TO HELP NOT CONDEM

OK ...  Im 45 years old and have been riding since I was 12.

Im not being a smart ass and I am certain that I've owned more motorcycles than you have.... street and dirt.  No disrespect was meant.

That being said, you are giving the impression you are treating your dirt bike purchase like a car purchase.  It simply does not work that way. Which is why a warranty on a dirt bike is non existent or 30 days like KTM.

So, like anything that comes from a dealer's mouth, always start with the manual and ask questions if you are not sure.

Secondly, I'd be all over my kid about not reading the manual and knowing what HIS bike needs which translates to a larger problem in our society with kids these days (leave that for another day).

Finally, I will restate, read the manual and take the maintenance schedule with a grain of salt.  You simply cant blame the dealer for any part of this. Im sure they presumed you would have a look through the manual.

• Like 2

Great answers guys EXCEPT smart asses Dexter and especially Steve!

Let me explain something here for you two, I am sure I have owned more motorcycles than you two are OLD, I know it is not a car, and I respect my investments, as well as the dealer saying to me, BRING IT BACK FOR FIRST SERVICE IN 30 HOURS. from that point I trusted he knew what the hell he was talking about and MY FAULT, did not consult the manual to see if he was telling me the truth as I should have.

Being my sons first KTM, and NEVER having a KTM before is why the dealer took me down a CHECK LIST of explanations and the service was one of them of course which I initialed when done, well guess what the dealer salesman WAS WRONG, and did not inform me of the oil service operations and timed intervals, I AM CLOSE TO 60 YEARS OLD HERE GUYS, and from your standpoint I would doubt if you two added together could equal that!

I have had dealers say 3-4 tanks of gas then bring back, certain hours bring back, but until this I have never seen anything other than a bike that was raced REQUEST the oil be changed in ONE HOUR, so well said that to, before you again disrespect an elder and a VET, for asking WHAT YOU TWO BELIEVED WAS A DUMB ASS QUESTION!

thats why they have these discussion boards TO HELP NOT CONDEM

I would be great to not assume! what other people think. I never referred to your question/ concern as dumb ass. Steve nailed the nail in the head, was the reason I stated enough said. Also I don't know why you have to KEEP SCREAMING when you talk! Also by reading your post I find it very hard to believe your knowledge of bikes!! Who rides a bike for 30H with out and oil change?!? Idc what the dealer or manual says!!! It's unfortunate that Steve's response wasn't in the way you would of liked it worded or seen but take with a grain salt man, after all he did answer all your Q/concerns! And as to your last statement of disrespect an elder, imo I don't feel I did- enough said is a very popular saying complementing someone else's views in this case Steve's. Maybe your a little to sensitive to be on these boards!!

• Like 1

Great posts - guy asks for people's opinions, then gets pissed when they give it. Classic idiot.

To the OP - a fool and his money are soon departed. That 450 would probably be OK - but I would recommend to stay on stop of oil changes here going forward.

Also, my response to your last post.

Edited by Socket
  • Like 1

OK, you know its not good to skip the first oil changes. Skipping the very first one is the worst. But you skipped 'em. The sun will rise in the East tomorrow morning.

Maybe you cut 50 hours off your rebuild life, maybe 100. No one knows. Use a good oil and change it on schedule from here out. Go ride, or in this case, have your kid ride. Have fun, motorcycles are fun, this ain't brain surgery.

IMHO, the oil change schedule are probably right for "ready to race" but are excessive for just plunking along on woods trails.

To answer the OP question.  I wouldn't worry or contact the dealer, just keep riding the bike, changing the oil and filter at regular intervals.  If you're really concerned about what's going on in your engine, next oil change send a oil sample to Blackstone labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle.php  Contact Blackstone and they will send you free oil sample collection bottles.

I change my KTM's oil and filter every 3 rides (no matter the length).  The engine only holds about a quart of oil and IMO oil is cheap compared to the cost of my KTM.  Have you thought about installing an hour meter on your son's KTM so you or your son will know when to change the oil at whatever hour interval you decide 5, 6, 8 hours. I only use full synthetic motorcycle specific oil with JASO rating in my KTM and street bikes. 

To answer the OP question.  I wouldn't worry or contact the dealer, just keep riding the bike, changing the oil and filter at regular intervals.  If you're really concerned about what's going on in your engine, next oil change send a oil sample to Blackstone labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle.php  Contact Blackstone and they will send you free oil sample collection bottles.

I change my KTM's oil and filter every 3 rides (no matter the length).  The engine only holds about a quart of oil and IMO oil is cheap compared to the cost of my KTM.  Have you thought about installing an hour meter on your son's KTM so you or your son will know when to change the oil at whatever hour interval you decide 5, 6, 8 hours. I only use full synthetic motorcycle specific oil with JASO rating in my KTM and street bikes. 

This is also my practice. Change oil every 3 rides, and just use Rotella full synthetic. Shit is super cheap.

Look on the bright side....

It's completely worn in now so you can safely "ride the hell out of it"

• Like 1

Junior should be eager to change filters and oil.....its fun...especially for the young guys

....we used to change our oil when it didn't even need it because it was fun working on bikes.

• Like 1