Sign in to follow this  

Carburetor issues - advice needed

I have an 06 400E. Bought it not that long ago and it hasn't idled right from the beginning. It runs lean and either idles way too high or dies. I took it in to a local shop and they cleaned the carb with their ultrasonic cleaner. Still same issue. They replaced the fuel mixture screw as the FlexJET remote access screw was stripped. Still not working so they replaced the jet (had JD jet) and still not working. 

This is going on 7 weeks now and they are now saying they think the carb is bad and should be replaced. Obviously I don't know everything they've tried but wanted to get folks opinion here before I give the ok to buy a new carb. 

Well you definitely do not want to authorize a new OEM carb.  $1000 plus.  If the carb truly is bad you have several options.  Convert to the 36mm Mikuni.  Good used carbs are pretty cheap and available.  Or go with an aftermarket replacement kit. 39mm FCR mx type.  The kit is to put an FCR in place of the Mikuni so replacing a slant body FCR with mx type is a little different but doable.  Talk to SUDCO or JD Jetting.  Either one may be able to fix you right up for about $500.  Another option is to send your FCR to someone that knows what they are doing.

• Like 1

So if the shop replaced the flex jet with another fuel screw I presume the threads on the carb were still good.?

on an E model your going to have clearance issues with a std extended fuel screw

The coast enrichener is a known cause for pilot circuit issues...Has it been removed.?

This is how the carb should be set up for below 3,000 ft..

(airbox snorkel removed, with open pipe)

200 main air jet

60 pilot air jet

160 main jet

OBDXP needle, clip 5

45 pilot jet 

2.25 turns fuel screw

Remove the Coast Enrichener...Join the ports on the carb with a left over piece of hose and cap the port on the head..http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/944289-bike-is-not-reving-outwhat-to-check-first/page__pid__9885029#entry9885029

What is the shop basing there "carb is bad" diagnosis..?

They appear to be basing it on they've tried everything they can think of but haven't been able to solve the problem. They said they called around to some other shops as well. I will double check current setup. Thanks!

One thing to pay attention to on the slant body FCR's used by Suzuki is if the throttle plate is installed correctly.  Many diagrams show it incorrectly.  The throttle plate is kind of arrow shaped and looks like it fits with the arrow point down - wrong.  The square edge with the notch in the center goes down.  If installed upside down, the idle and off idle will be horrible (lean).

• Like 1

After reviewing your replies and referring to the service manual I got with the bike, I recalled that I had some pics. Not a good one of the whole carb but enough to see that this one doesn't have the coasting richer. Other than that, it looks like the carb in the picture Craig-o linked to. Going down to the shop today to pick it up. bike-1.jpgbike-2.jpgbike-3.jpg

• Like 1

Pix in post 9 - Yes the CE is removed.  The 2 nipples on the carb appear to be connected with a clear vinyl hose.  In this state the pilot air jet should be the original 60.

Yup, the diagram shows the throttle plate upside down.  Source of much confusion.

Edited by Noble
  • Like 1

Just so I'm clear (because the manual does not specifically call that part out), you are referring to the part I circled in this image?

bike-4.jpg

Yes.  That part is a floating (vacuum compensated) throttle plate carried by a roller carriage.  It is what makes the FCR design resistant to slide sticking due to intake vacuum.  That diagram shows the throttle plate upside down.