Sign in to follow this  

Dirt bike or truck!?

As of right now I'm selling my dirt bike to upgrade to bigger! This year I also turn 16 so that means I can drive! I barely ever ride during the school year! Should I put the money I make off of my bike towards a truck or purchase a new dirt bike right away?

Thing is, that if I don't buy a truck than I'm gonna have to wake up early for the bus, if your a true guy then you know that taking the bus sucks, not to mention how your social life will be withought transportation

• Like 2

Be honest with yourself that owing a vehicle is a huge responsibility. They can cost a lot of money to operate, even just the basic stuff such as insurance and fuel can be expensive.

But, owning a vehicle is something that every young man needs to experience in his life. Not only does it teach discipline but it builds credit towards insurance discounts in the future...

If you don't have much of a hassle to catch the bus, I would tell you to do so and continue to ride but if catching the bus is a huge inconvenience, then look into buying a cheap commuter vehicle such as a Honda Civic...

• Like 6

Dual sport/ enduro bike!!  :D  But I would spring for the truck, you will enjoy being able to go and come as you please, not being shackled to other peoples vehicles. Luckily I was given an old work truck of my dads, (old clapped out truck, but still a truck!) and have enjoyed every second of it.

• Like 2

I don't know what your budget is or what your bike is worth but you could probably do both.

Hell I drive a 99 Ranger with 171k miles on it. Paid cash for it about 4 years ago. Just buy a cheap car or truck for your first one. It may not be the coolest thing in the school parking lot but you'll save a bunch of money.

I was in the same position as you. In the end, I sold the bike to help buy a truck. I bought it back in April and am just now getting everything that needed to be to done to it finished. Yes, I miss the bike, alot lol. But having a truck will make it better to go back and forth to school, a job, friends and when you get another bike, you'll have a way to transport it. Im just starting to be able to save money now but cant decide between a road bike, dirt bike or street and trail.

• Like 2

were do you live if it gets really snowy then get a truck, if it is not snowy then get a dirt bike and street legalize it. for your motorcycle learners permit (in utah at least) the only thing you cant do is ride after midnight till 5 and take it on the freeway but if you are going to go on the free way then just borrow your parents car or find back roads. besides girls like guys on motorcycles ;)

Your still going to have to wait 6 months and 65 hours of driving time, some in bad conditions, some at night and normal driving, depending on where you are but I think its pretty standard now. Then you only get your juniors driving license, in which you can't take more then one friend in the truck at one time. So if i where you id spring for a used bike with low hours on it, it doesnt have to be the newest either.

I live in alberta, canada so I have the freedoms as a licensed driver at the age of 16

Cool , i live in Alberta too,( hate it), but here's a idea. ( not sure if its been mentioned above, sorry if it has). Why not something like a really beater truck/ minivan( as mentioned above) that can take 2/3 people and your bike. Take the seats out in a minivan. Get like a 92-94 Dakota, they're pretty bullet proof and cheap. My brother has one, he loves it. You can get one for 2000/3000. Take the extra cash for your bike