Sign in to follow this  

Hard Shifting 2013 WR250F

New WR only has about 90 miles on it and it appears every now and then it has a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th.  This is with the clutch fully engaged, even tried releasing and re-clutching a few times and it would still fail to upshift.  It would sort itself out after going down again though.  It does however upshift without using the clutch no problem. 

A couple posts I've read stated it's no big deal to shift without a clutch now.  I've never shifted without a clutch except on accident. 

Is this just a case of breaking it in?

Thanks,

Mike

Except for the ratios, the tranny mechanism is the same design, and yes its designed to shift under power.  But,....... I blip the throttle... momentarily let off as I'm up or down shifting.  This lets the pressure off the gears in the system for a smoother shift.  On the right side of the case there is a dual pawl that allows for a more robust mechanism.  I've been shifting without clutch since I've owned YZs and WRs with -0- problems with the mechanism.

Now, to get closer to your actual .... possible.... problem.

Do you have an hour meter on your bike?

How much engine run time do you allow before you change your oil?

Proper answers are:

"Yes

I change it every 5 hours."

Any other answers, and you're looking at excuses to blame it on.  If you've run 90 miles and haven't changed your oil, you're over due.

For me and my type of riding, that's about 6 hours, and yes it will get notchy before that point.

Ron,

I don't have an hour meter on it yet.

I don't think it's been ridden for 5 hours even (it really is brand new), or it's right around 5 hours.  I put 30 miles on it in about an hour at Stoddard.  Problem started when I was actually able to open it up and/or start shifting.  Sorry, I should have said that it was kind of wonky from the get go.  :)

It's not notchy, it's plain not shifting sometimes.  I'm full force with my toe, leaning back like a walrus on a rock and I might as well be shifting the engine casing.

Thanks,

Mike

My new 2014 wr450f struggles to up shirt from first to second sometimes. It has 2.1 hours on it and developed it over the last hour or so. I am putting it down to break in. The dealer told me to expect some stiffness and it is not a lot different in feel to my kx250f when that was brand new. That became free quite quickly.

I find that I have to release the upward pressure on the shifter and then apply it again and it slots in after a few attempts.

I have had no issues with down shifting but I do struggle to find neutral with it.

My warranty ran out about 3 days ago (30 day warranty) so I will see what happens on the next oil change.  Ah well.

I would take it back to the dealer if you do not have the skill or tools to pull off the side case and remove the clutch basket to check the shift mechanism, if you have a good dealer he should be able to get Yamaha to cover it. You have nothing to loos by trying.