Sign in to follow this  

DRZ-400S Blowing fuses...Help!

Hey everybody, recently my DRZ has been blowing the main 20 amp fuse. I thought nothing of it after the 1st time, but it just blew the 3rd  one this weekend and I don't know where to start...  I replaced the fuse before my last ride, rode for about 10-15 minutes, shut the bike off and it wouldn't start back. No lights, blinkers, neutral light, nothing. Before the ride, I started and shut off the bike 5-6 times, to rule out a starter issue. The bike runs fine (I'm guessing on alternator power only) until you shut it off. I am able to bump start the bike pretty easily, but I don't want to replace a fuse or have to look like little miss sunshine every time i want to go for a ride. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention earlier that i took the plastics and tank off and didn't see any bare wires, and I don't really know how to proceed. Should I check all the connections for continuity to ground? or is that not a sure fire way? Thanks for the help y'all!

Edited by SwampMan843

What often works is to put a test light in the battery neg cable.  A 1156 bulb works good because it is rather hight wattage.  Disconnect the bat neg cable put the test light in series between the bat neg and the neg cable. Now disconnect known loads - remove the taillight bulb,  pull the connector off the headlight bulb, pull the larger connector off the CDI.  Now the only thing still connected are the instruments which you can leave connected.  Now turn the key ON.  If the test bulb lights dim it is probably the instrument lights drawing power. (you can disconnect them if it helps)  If the test light is bright, there is a short.  Start wiggling wires and/or disconnecting things to isolate the short.  Pay attention to the wires around the steering head.  When the test light changes brightness you have found the problem.  The fuse will not blow because the test light provides resistance to the circuit.