Sign in to follow this  

99XR400 kick stand failure at the frame

Inherited a poorly welded kick stand with this bike.  It finally broke out, totally from the frame.  Got some clues this will take some metal fabrication to correcty reinforce the area that will withstand kicking while on the stand.

I have observed many 400s with this very problem, but failed to see any forum topics realtaed to it, perhaps I missed it.

Anyway, suggestions, ideas, opinions, soulutions welcomed, don't want to make a mess of it!

mndiogo

You should not be attempting to kick start the bike when on the side stand, the side stands are not designed for that sort of stress they are designed to hold the bike up without a person on it. My 86 has had a repair on the frame at the kick stand from PO 

There are threads here with photos to repair this problem.  

Water in the frame causes rust which weakens the frame.  

Also, at least one dumbass suggested using the rear wheel of one bike to turn the rear wheel of another bike as a starting aid.  I can't imagine a quicker way to break a kickstand.

• Like 1

There are threads here with photos to repair this problem.  

Water in the frame causes rust which weakens the frame.  

Also, at least one dumbass suggested using the rear wheel of one bike to turn the rear wheel of another bike as a starting aid.  I can't imagine a quicker way to break a kickstand.

Can't imagine how that would even work unless the starter bike had ?Reverse?

Excellent reponses, much good information to ponder, thank you all for your time and effort towards my education. 

Happy and safe trails, from Baja, Mexico.

My XR has some corrosion at the kick stand weld and the weld just in front of that. Yesterday I took an 1/8" drill to both sides and got no water out. Decided to close the holes back up with pop rivet.