Stock muffler...missing baffle/arrestor sleeve WTB

I'm in a bind and hope you guys can help.

Just finished resurrecting a 36k burnt out 04 S. Rebuilt everything. Started it for the 1st time yesterday and was blown away by how loud the exhaust was.

Turns out the stock muffler is missing the final baffle/spark arrestor sleeve (the part on the right in the pic below), but unfortunately, these are not available from Suzuki.

From researching, I have found that it is a popular mod to remove that baffle for the power increase.

Anyone have one to sell?

P9070051.jpg

Good luck finding one, I've heard many dealerships remove them before being sold...i once drove two and a half hours to buy a second stock exhaust that i had specifically asked if it sill had the baffle it it, he said yes, but apon arriving home i found no baffle and a spark affestor that looked like it was ripped in half with vice grips. (kid said that can happen over time :foul: ) I ended up making a baffle.

WTF?

I just pulled the muffler tip again to start taking measurements to make the baffle/sleeve if none of you guys had one to offer.

See the pic...there is no threaded hole at the end of the arrestor housing to even mount a baffle.

This bike HAS to quiet down. I am lost.

IMG_20140820_181750.jpg

I believe I ended up welding a nut to the end of the spark arrestor to keep the baffle in place.  I'll take photos and can take measurements tomorrow if you'd like.

SeeThree, pics of your baffle would be great, not just for me, but the entire TT drz community, at large, I believe.

The baffle you show in the picture first post is not a US item.  US does not use a baffle like that to cover the spark arrestor screen.  It is an Australian item no doubt intended to removed by the first purchaser.  it will hardly run with that in there.  You can probably buy a complete take off good condition complete used system for very little money.  Perhaps someone here will donate one for postage.  And just to clarify, any modification to the stock (US version) muffler yields more noise but no more power.

• Like 1

The baffle you show in the picture first post is not a US item.  US does not use a baffle like that to cover the spark arrestor screen.  It is an Australian item no doubt intended to removed by the first purchaser.  it will hardly run with that in there.  You can probably buy a complete take off good condition complete used system for very little money.  Perhaps someone here will donate one for postage.  And just to clarify, any modification to the stock (US version) muffler yields more noise but no more power.

:naughty:  my modification makes it much quieter but probably a little less powerful...It was worth it, i like being able to hear the bike in technical stuff and not piss off the neighbors...

• Like 1

Quiet is good but the motor still has to run.  A stock end cap or even restricting the exhaust opening in a stock end cap can reduce sound level and still allow the motor to run.  Modifying the end cap with a 1 3/8 dia hole saw makes a huge difference in the noise level.  So try a stock end cap to see if that satisfies you for noise.  You might also look into the muffler with the end cap removed to see if it has had some holes drilled in the interior baffles.

Yeah...The end cap deal is the same as Aussie E.

The only difference is that Aussie E has the thread in the end of the arrestor screen..

Another common mod for reduced noise is to half the length of the removable sleeve that slides over the screen...

Total screen coverage is very restrictive to performance

Edited by Craig-o

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help.

Here is the interior of the muffler and the undrilled end cap:

And that is loud? I'm not understanding something do you have pics as it is coming a part?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ400-SM-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-/161103731321?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASuzuki&hash=item258287da79&vxp=mtr