Sign in to follow this  

250 4t or 250 2t?

I currently have a 2006 crf250 and am trying to decide whether to sell it and get a 250 2t. I understand the maintenance of a 2t (I've had a few 125's) but my crf will need a rebuild soon and I've already gotten into valve repairs and cam timing which have cost me quite a bit of money. Im a student, so would I be better off going with a 250 2t for the cheaper maintenance, or should I stay with the 4t?

All I've ridden are 125's, is it that much more power on a 250 2 stroke? I love the torque of my 4 stroke

A 250 2t has more torque than the 250f. I've only ridden a couple 250 2t's but they are a lot more powerful than a 125. They have more power everywhere.

For a tight budget get the 2t

And you can always tame the 250 two stroke to your likings and learn throttle control.

• Like 1

I'd say get the 250 2 stroke you'll grow to like the ripping sound it makes. The power band is in my opinion "pretty insane". But the speed and power band hit is very controllable. It will tend to lift up on the front wheel if your WOT but you just let off the gas whenever you don't feel comfortable. The bottom end torque is better than the 125 in all gears making it a little easier to ride fast than the 125. Just don't accidentally whisky throttle it. It's not as forgiving as the 125 and 250 4 stroke. The 2 strokes are cheaper and easier to maintain like other have said. A lot cheaper if you can do it yourself. But the power band differential is personal choice. The 250 2 stroke is double the snappiness and power as the 125 so people generally aren't WOT on it all the time. You'll get arm pump quicker if you ride hard and it will force to ride in a more aggressive/alert manner if you try to go fast. 

Ok thanks for all the help. I'm probably going to start looking for a newer 250 2t.

Also consider you may not be able to comfortably go as fast as you do on the 4 stroke due to track conditions and wheel spin. The 2 stroke rear wheel is going to have less traction in general and want to slide out a lot more. Hence the aggressive alertness it takes if your riding hard pack dusty stuff. In soft tacky dirt the 250 2 stroke could smoke a 450. It's tons of fun to ride but insane at the same time. Good luck!

I'd say get the 250 2 stroke you'll grow to like the ripping sound it makes. The power band is in my opinion "pretty insane". But the speed and power band hit is very controllable. It will tend to lift up on the front wheel if your WOT but you just let off the gas whenever you don't feel comfortable. The bottom end torque is better than the 125 in all gears making it a little easier to ride fast than the 125. Just don't accidentally whisky throttle it. It's not as forgiving as the 125 and 250 4 stroke. The 2 strokes are cheaper and easier to maintain like other have said. A lot cheaper if you can do it yourself. But the power band differential is personal choice. The 250 2 stroke is double the snappiness and power as the 125 so people generally aren't WOT on it all the time. You'll get arm pump quicker if you ride hard and it will force to ride in a more aggressive/alert manner if you try to go fast.

what the hell is WOT? Lol I've seen it everywhere but don't know what it means!

I rode a 2 smoke while I was studying and I loved it. The maintenance was affordable and easy to do. The bike was great fun.

As I gift to myself for becoming an engineer, after graduation i sold it and bought a 250f. The 4 stroke is far easier to ride and ride quickly. My lap times have improved out of sight and I love it to bits but nothing compares to the thrill of getting on the pipe on a smoker. And my maintenance costs are going up and up by the day. While you're on a tight budget I would say the smoker without a doubt and your riding will no doubt benefit from it too.

• Like 1

i would go with the 250 two stroke they are fast but dont break the bank.