Sign in to follow this  

Vibration through handlebars

Hey so I came off my bike a few weeks ago pretty hard, my buddy took it for a rip tonight and said when he jumps and the bikes in the mid air he can feel a bad vibration, he's not sure what it is but he reckons I might need to rebuild the engine, I'm injured so I can't ride the bike so basically that is all the information I have, also I'm new to dirtbikes so if any1 has any information or similar experiences please share, I really don't want to rebuild the top end unless I have to

Also I don't really understand how how he only feels this when the bikes jumping surely you would feel the vibration when riding to, it's an 03 yz 250

Hope you get better soon.  First thing to check is the motor mounts to make sure all the bolts are tight.  Then check back when you get better.  In other words, don't worry about it right now.  

Haha no he wouldn't do that, yea hopefully I can get a look at it in the next few weeks maybe it is just something's loose, I'll check back in when I do check it out, just got to rest up now and worry about getting back to work first

OK so im not sure if he really knows what happened to the bike but if he did he would be very smart and quite useful to people who aqree diagnosing things that go wrong with other peoples stuff when they dont take care of the things they are supposed to because it can always help fix things and if he is wrong maybe a mechanic can help people things stuff fix also once i had a bike that threw a rod and it took me ages to find it because the grass was long and im afraid of snakes

Edited by ickfinger

Two strokes vibrate more then four bangers, thats just the way it is. If the piston has some time on it the can vibrate more, especially if there is a forged piston in there. 

I also switched from the stock bars to Renthal twinwalls and it seemed to help with vibration a good amount.  

OK so im not sure if he really knows what happened to the bike but if he did he would be very smart and quite useful to people who aqree diagnosing things that go wrong with other peoples stuff when they dont take care of the things they are supposed to because it can always help fix things and if he is wrong maybe a mechanic can help people things stuff fix also once i had a bike that threw a rod and it took me ages to find it because the grass was long and im afraid of snakes

WHAT?

• Like 1

WHAT?

EXACTLY, the OP's run-on paragraph makes as much sense to me. Edited by ickfinger

No idea what your talking about

Two strokes vibrate more then four bangers, thats just the way it is. If the piston has some time on it the can vibrate more, especially if there is a forged piston in there.

I also switched from the stock bars to Renthal twinwalls and it seemed to help with vibration a good amount.

Yea it's still got the stock bars on it, I'm going to change them very soon, he also reckoned there was a slight piston slap there but as I say I'm new to this so I couldn't here it

Did the bike go down on it's right side by chance when you crashed?

You could have jarred loose an exhaust mount. Also, check around the mounts where they are welded to the pipe. These are common locations for cracks. Anything even slightly loose, anywhere on the exhaust system can produce VERY unpleasant vibration. When the tires are in contact with the ground, the ground itself serves as a vibration dampener. That is to say, some of the vibration is transferred into the ground, and thereby the rider experiences/perceives less vibration. It is very likely that this could be your problem, especially since your friend experiences the increased vibration once your bike loses contact with the ground....exhaust vibration also tends to amplify when the rpm's are falling into the lower range, which would also be the case as your friend chops the throttle as he goes airborne.

Also, once an exhaust has been jarred slightly loose it tends to vibrate at the flange where it meets the cylinder. This vibration action will consume the o-rings in no time flat. This will further contribute to the problem. The vibration will intensify and the bike will begin to behave rich and smoke more. This might lead you to believe the problem is bigger than it really is.

I suggest you thoroughly inspect the exhaust. Remove the pipe and inspect the o-rings. The springs fatigue over time and do not suck the pipe in as tight as they should. Use some ultra copper silicon and re-install the pipe with new springs and o-rings. Ensure all the mounts are tight and that there is no hairline cranks in the pipe adjacent to the mounts....

When troubleshooting any equipment you will find that 99% of issues are simple in nature. So start with the small stuff and don't be thinking just yet about crank bearings or engine rebuilds, etc.... Eliminate all the small stuff first. Start with that exhaust ;)

Edited by Fattonz

I was mocking you due to your lack of sentence structure, punctuation and spelling. I found it very hard to understand a paragraph without the basic fundamentals of the english language. I don't mind helping people, but if I have to decode the english language, I begin to understand the downfall of civilization.

Edited by ickfinger

I was mocking you due to your lack of sentance structure, punctuation and spelling. I found it very hard to understand a paragraph without the basic fundamentals of the english language. I don't mind helping people, but if I have to decode the english language, I begin to understand the downfall of civilization.

You spelled sentence wrong.

• Like 1

To teach...your post should read as this."Hello. I crashed my bike hard recently. My friend rode it tonight and felt a bad vibration while jumping. His opinion is the motor needs work. Due to my current injury I can't confirm his diagnosis. I'm a noob so please offer up some suggestions. Thank you". Yeah, I might be a bit douchey, but for Christ's sake at least try to form a sentence.

Edited by ickfinger

To teach...your post should read as this."Hello. I crashed my bike hard recently. My friend rode it tonight and felt a bad vibration while jumping. His opinion is the motor needs work. Due to my current injury I can't confirm his diagnosis. I'm a noob so please offer up some suggestions. Thank you".

To recap, you spelled sentence wrong in the previous post. Its ok we all look dumb sometimes. Its not a reflection of civilization.

Edited by Beisch

To teach...your post should read as this."Hello. I crashed my bike hard recently. My friend rode it tonight and felt a bad vibration while jumping. His opinion is the motor needs work. Due to my current injury I can't confirm his diagnosis. I'm a noob so please offer up some suggestions. Thank you". Yeah, I might be a bit douchey, but for Christ's sake at least try to form a sentence.

To recap, you spelled sentence wrong in the previous post. It's ok we all look dumb sometimes.

Thank you, I went back and corrected it. It's still a far cry from the clusterf*ck op Edited by ickfinger

Well every1 else seemed to understand, I'm looking for help with my bike not an English lesson but thanks anyway

Did the bike go down on it's right side by chance when you crashed?

You could have jarred loose an exhaust mount. Also, check around the mounts where they are welded to the pipe. These are know locations for cracks. Anything even slightly loose, anywhere on the exhaust system can produce VERY unpleasant vibration. When the tires are in contact with the ground, the ground itself serves as a vibration dampener. That is to say, some of the vibration is transferred into the ground, and thereby the rider experiences/perceives less vibration. It is very likely that this could be your problem, especially since your friend experiences the increased vibration once your bike loses contact with the ground....exhaust vibration also tends to amplify when the rpm's are falling into the lower range, which would also be the case as your friend chops the throttle as he goes airborne.

Also, once an exhaust has been jarred slightly loose it tends to vibrate at the flange where it meets the cylinder. This vibration action will consume the o-rings in no time flat. This will further contribute to the problem. The vibration will intensify and the bike will begin to behave rich and smoke more. This might lead you to believe the problem is bigger than it really is.

I suggest you thoroughly inspect the exhaust. Remove the pipe and inspect the o-rings. The springs fatigue over time and do not suck the pipe in as tight as they should. Use some ultra copper silicon and re-install the pipe with new springs and o-rings. Ensure all the mounts are tight and that there is no hairline cranks in the pipe adjacent to the mounts....

When troubleshooting any equipment you will find that 99% of issues are simple in nature. So start with the small stuff and don't be thinking just yet about crank bearings or engine rebuilds, etc.... Eliminate all the small stuff first. Start with that exhaust ;)

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this, my buddy did say I'll need a new silencer that it's damaged pretty good, I'll strip down the exhaust system and check that out first, I'll post with further findings, thank you again

• Like 1