Sign in to follow this  

early crf vs new crf

How big of a difference is there comparing a 04 to a 14? Engine? suspension? Handling/nimbleness? Obviously there will be a massive difference in throttle response but I'm curious about the power difference and nimbleness mainly.

Just wondering.

I've been wonder the same thing, not that Ile ever get a new one anyway.

I know they made some big suspension changes, the front forks are all air controlled now. a couple guys i ride with have 14's and they say its a PITA because they are constantly adjusting air pressure(similar to a fox float snowmobile shock). other changes...fuel injection, better "flowing" plastics, ect.

i have a 2007 and think i'm gonna do an overhaul on her and run it another year, but boy i would love to have a brand new bike someday, my buddies are like "Try my 14!" and i cant do it because ill know i would want to pull the trigger. In the mean time....just run the doors off the 07 and use the 8,000$ i would have to spend on something else.

Mot much power increase a few hp is all

I had an 06 crf250R about 5 years ago, And since then have had 08,09,12,13 crf450's Still have my 13' and love it.. Just picked up a 2015 crf250r and man is it a fun bike to ride.. I would say the motor is better all around in the power department.. More horsepower, better throttle response and way sharper handling than my 06' ever had. And the suspension out of the box is very very good. So that being said.. i would never go back to the previous generation bike.. Honda has a winner with this one for sure!

15' crf250r.jpg

Edited by Black450R

How big of a difference is there comparing a 04 to a 14? Engine? suspension? Handling/nimbleness? Obviously there will be a massive difference in throttle response but I'm curious about the power difference and nimbleness mainly.

Just wondering.

Power is all relative to how far you want to twist the throttle. Yes, a newer one will be more powerful in numbers but will make little difference to the average guy...

In terms of chassis and handling, again, a poorly setup 2013 vs a well setup 2004 will yield no differences to the average rider...

Sadly, as consumers we bought into the "newer is better" think trap. Very rarely does someone buy a new bike and automatically become that much faster....

If money is golden, stack some chips away for retirement and spruce up the old bird....

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1