Sign in to follow this  

650L Starter Relay question...

Two questions, any help greatly appreciated.

Ok. My XRL has been turning over slowly for weeks. I knew it was gonna quit one day.

Well it did today. No cranking only clicking, from the relay.

I jumped the starter, it turns over slowly (not enough to start the bike). But it still turns... (1) Should it turn like crazy??? I don't know. I know I need a new battery, this one dries out in about a week.

Anyways. I checked the starter relay for continuity, got about .3 Ohms. (2) Is this normal? I dont have a service manual.

Thanks fellas!!

Edited by YamahaDoc

if it "dries out" meaning the electrolyte is gone, you need a battery replacement and perhaps the system is overcharging. if your jumping from a car battery and it still turns more slowly than normal, the starter may need brushes. in any event a good multimeter and a shop manual will help search down the problem.

A chattering relay/solenoid indicates low voltage...  There is a coil of wire inside the relay/solenoid.  When voltage is applied to the coil it becomes a magnet closing the contacts which completes the circuit energizing the starter...  If the battery is bad/weak or a loose connection is present... There is enough voltage to initially energize the coil, after energizing the coil the voltage drops causing the coil to de-energize, then the process is repeated over and over causing the chatter.

ME

Edited by kmequint

Thanks guys! I don't want to do the battery relocation mod. What style battery are you guys using? Gel, Li-ion, YUASA?

Speaking of the starter... I was going to pull it out yesterday, I took the header off and the two bolts on the right side holding it to the case. Is that all or do I need to remove the cover on the left side of the motor (gear end of the starter) ... the starter wouldn't budge.

Never mind, I found one online. Looks like I need to pull the gear off the other side.

I ordered a service manual, but hoping you guys can assist me in the time being.

Edited by YamahaDoc

Ok. So, I pulled the starter out. It was dirty as hell.

I cleaned it up and put it back in the bike. I still don't a have battery, ordered a Shorai and it's on the way.

I jumped the starter with a battery jumper @50 amps. Nothing...

Pulled the gear cover off the left side and tried it again, spins like a top.

Put it all back together making sure everything is in the right place. Try it again, nothing.

I really mean nothing not a pulse, no nothin. Am I crazy???

Could be the starter binding or the brushes wearing out.

Brushes looked decent to me. You guys be the judge, I've never taken a motorcycle starter apart.

1408762856727.jpg

sounds like maybe a binding problem. usually this is from washers being put in the wrong location but since you didnt have it apart previously 

(assuming), perhaps there are worn bushings/bearings, i dont remember which it has. i would say that if the reduction gear cover is left loose, and the starter operates correctly, there is a clearance problem somewhere in the starter or drive. if you have the starter out, good time for cleaning, brushes, overhaul.

I've never had the starter apart... did it seem to spin freely? Do the brushes push pretty hard against the rotating part?