Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder alignment dowels are they standard size?

My local Honda shop has been far from reliable about stocking anything for my bike.  

Case in point I just drove 3hrs round trip to get a base gasket and exhaust flange gasket because of some apparent misscommunication between me and the engine tuner so all I got with my parts was a piston and a head gasket. Called up my local Honda and guess what? "We can have it next week" FRUSTRATING. 

Now I get all the way back and discover that one of the alignment dowels is FUBAR and cannot be used.  Must have needed some extra encouragement to come out of the base of the cylinder..!?  Worked just fine last time I rebuilt the top end. 

Did the engine failure ruin it?  Again would have been useful information for the tuner to tell me "go find your own base gasket etc" and "btw you'll need a new dowel"  W.T.F.

So if I can't find one local are they standard size on 250's? I mean can I call around KTM, Yamaha, Kawi, shops and ask for a certain size dowel? 

thanks. 

I have only 1 dowel pin on my cylinder right now, and it sits perfectly. No doubt it is better with both dowel pins but I have ensure that the bike runs with 0 problems with just 1

My buddy is red certified (master honda Moto tech). He told me "quit bein a bitch and just sand and reshape it till it fits. So I went back in the garage and made it work lol took some finesse. When I do the rings I'm def getting two new ones in there for sure. He said never go without any but one perfect with one little less than perfect is fine.

So I got to this point last night.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408647895.293718.jpg

• Like 1