Sign in to follow this  

What bike is next?

Hi Thumpertalkers,

I am currently riding and old Xr250 but i am getting rather bored of it. It doesnt have enough power to play with and it is a little on the heavy side. I  ride trails and enduros with maybe a trip to the track thrown in once or twice a year. im 6'0 and 200. what bike do you think what suit me best?

i have ridden a 250xc 2t and loved it but it costs a bit much for me. i currently ride 4stroke. so i could go either way.

i am not against KTM but all the ktm bikes i have seen have been a bit too expensive for me. what about a kdx?

I have no knowledge of the KDX. People seem to like them though. I think they're a bit heavy if I remember correctly. Citation needed.

KDX is a good bike. It's lighter than an XR250 or 400.

I like to call it the 2 stroke XR400. It doesn't have the off idle torque of the big XR but it has a lot for a 2 stroke. They are a bit mellow stock but can really rip with some mods. I think the dry weight is somewhere around 225lbs.

Edited by JFortner5

The kdx is a good trail bike. They are a bit mellow in stock tune but very reliable and a little more power potential than the xr250. Any of the newer 250 4t are going to handle better and have more power and potential. Dont count out an older 250 or 300 2t either if you can find one in decent shape like a late 90s up ktm 300exc. For 4 stroke I would go with klx300. wr250f, crf250x. For 2 stroke. the kdx 220 would be a good starting point

So i looked on craigslist and i was surprised at how cheap some of the KTMs are selling for but ive got two questions. 1. Would a 300exc be too much bike for me? 2. Are older KTMs(<2005) as good as the newer ones? Thanks for all the input.

No. The 300 is a fine woods bike. It would be a natural progression from the KDX. 

New junk is always better than old junk.

Edited by poconovfr

kdx would still be an improvement over the xr and it should be affordable unless you can find an xc in your price range then buy the xc

You were very broad. It depends. If you choose to go with a two stroke, get a yz250. If you buy a used 2stroke, you are testing your luck. You need to pick a bike that was maintained well. If you go with a four stroke which I would choose, get a crf450. You can never go wrong with Honda