Sign in to follow this  

Poll: are black rims overused?

Black rims are overused when bent or cracked. Until then, they are fine. Unless you are a trailer queen, then pink is the fastest. ;)

I only run my pink wheels during breast cancer awareness month.

• Like 1

i like the look of black rims but every one has them might have to switch to red

I personally think black rims look the best. My bike has a bronze rear rim and a front black rim wish it had both black.. The guy that I bought it from found out the front rim was warped and replaced it with black

Bull.S. Black rims dont only look good because people have them. I like black rims (though I dont have them) and it ISNT because someone has them. It has nothing to do with the person and everything to do with I like the look personally. I will agree on affliction and flat bills tho.

If you dont have them yet then dont get them. Being black they absorb more sunlight rays and radiation. They slowly melt your tires a little and have been known in the state of California to cause birth defects. People dont know because its a government conspiracy thats been covered up.

Dont let black rims happen to you.

• Like 2

Seriously though, I like the way black rims look when new. But it does not take too many rock dings and tire changes until ther are scratched and look crappy. The same goes for any color other than plain old brushed silver. The dings and scratches do not stand ut on them.

I have silver on my dirt bikes

I have black on my super moto

• Like 1

Yup. You can keep an old, well-ridden, mechanically maintained bike looking good longer with silver rims. If you're a pro and the team throws down for new rims every time you scratch some color off, then they never get worn to the point that the side is just kinda generally sand blasted, and you probably have some other color that matches your primary sponsor's graphics. 

I generally like the look of black rims better, but after a year in the desert they become silver anyway.

From an aesthetic standpoint it's kinda like people who get tattoos to be "different" but they end up being more like everyone else because most people have them now. Only reason I got them is because the stx only come in black but I don't know it I would've picked Silver over it in retrospect if it was available. I thought they would look cool but in my opinion the silver looks a million times better on the suzuki.

• Like 1

I recently got a set of Takasago A60's for my bike. Overall, I'm not that impressed. They show EVERY bit of dirt that you get on them. They have to be wiped down with a dry cloth after washing or they show water spots. I don't think they make me any faster. I do have red Talon hubs that match my bike as well so that's nice. In my mind, black rims just for the sake of having black rims is WAY over-rated.  But, they do set you apart from everyone else I ride with as most are still on silvers.

Rims anodized/powder coated black and done right look good. Rims spray bombed black are lame. jmo

I want gold wheel for my Honda. I've always loved the gold on red. But. Tusk wheels are only $500 vs $1000 for warp9 and only come in black. Ha.

I was thinking of just lacing gold excel hoops onto my stock hubs but even that will be $800 or so and then I still only have one set of wheels.

Edited by D4N63R

Red for life! But my 2 stroke has black rims because they were on there when I bought it!

I hope I have made you rethink the black rims strategy!

image.jpg

Edited by Black450R
  • Like 3

I want gold wheel for my Honda. I've always loved the gold on red. But. Tusk wheels are only $500 vs $1000 for warp9 and only come in black. Ha.

I was thinking of just lacing gold excel hoops onto my stock hubs but even that will be $800 or so and then I still only have one set of wheels.

I recommend lacing excel hoops to stock hubs over warp 9 or tusk. My dirt star rad hub combo weighs much more than stock and I can definitely notice it. Going to lace some dirt star lt-x hoops to my stock hubs . Silver for sure.

• Like 1

I know OEM hubs are the bees knees. I need to re lace my front though. My bike was HEAVILY abused before I got it. I figure if I have the wheel apart anyway may as well do rims at the same time.

Thanks for the heads up on wheel weight. I ride a 250 so anything to help keep it light is a plus.

Edited by D4N63R

I think silver is starting to look outdated as all the new bikes switch to black from the factory and everyone puts them on their cars amd trucks now. Silver has been used for a long time

Black rims are like white boots and cheap monster stickers

I like my white A2's. I hate energy drink stickers though haha