Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X Brake light issues

Hey guy's,

I've installed a new rear brake light kit on my 09 CRF450X and I cant seem to get the light going?

I've changed out both switches on the bike and no go. It stays illuminated as if the brakes are constantly on whilst running but when its turned off it will work, but only if both front and rear brakes are applied.

I've bled the brakes and switches are tight.

Any ideas on what I have done wrong?

Could it be the relay?

Cheers guys

Yeah just going to go over it again today and double check, one post I read had different colours mixed up as another post so I'll see how that goes n hopefully it works out :)

Plus its someone else's mess too that I'm working with as they have chopped n changed wires around making my job not so fun :/

Havbt got them wired to the parkers and the parkers wired to the brake light so it doesn't show up when running.

Nah mate switched them around and no good.

I'm getting 12v from the green/yellow wire up front but nothing at the rear brake switch. An that's with a new switch too :/

I know with my rear switch it's intermittent need to clean the plug it's dirty in there. So if you hold on your front brake do you get power to your rear switch?

I followed the green/yellow wire from rear brake switch and found it splices into the other yellow/green wire that feeds from the front brake lever. Is this normal?

I'd have find my.wiring diagram but Sounds.like its wired in series where it should be wired in parrell. But if its spliced in I think that's normal. Where is the other wired going to?

The black wire is going to the relay which is spliced with the brown wire as well which goes into the middle pin of the relay. Brown wire is licence plate light if I remember correctly right?

Think I may have resolved the issue, the new light setup doesn't communicate properly with the ICM, therefore it wouldn't work. So I hooked the original light back up through the ICM, setup up new tail light then put the black wire from my relay into yellow/

green wire and earthed out grey wire and it seems to work ok now but will have a better look in the day light. Still haven't resolved why my new rear switch isn't operating though :/

Edited by mln070

If you inbox your email ill send you a wiring diagram,

i just had a look the green/yellow wire is suppose to be spliced intogether, there should be power when the bike is runnng on the black/yellow wire going into the switch for both front and rear, if you dont have power on the black wire at the rear trace this wire back,  Also i have found my power relay plays up and needs a knock to get it working, contacts must be sticking, been to lazy to get a new relay, 

The green/yellow wire goes to the brake light, 

All sorted man got it fixed up today but now my blinkers don't work lol. I got a wiring diagram but when I zoom in I can't read the print on it