Sign in to follow this  

steel frame yz250 vs al frame yz

Hey all, i'm in the market for a new bike and have had my mind somewhat set on another yz250. I have owned an 06 but am curious how an older say 99-04 bike be in comparison if it has updated suspension? Reason i consider is price of course, but are the motors nearly identical power wise? I seen this one http://duluth.craigslist.org/mcy/4599160955.html for about half price of any 05+ bikes in my area so any input would be great!

the steel frame will be heavier and less maneuverable while the aluminum frame will be lighter and more maneuverable. Basically it comes down to what you can afford. if you aren't hardcore the steel frame will be fine but if you manna go hard get the aluminum frame. as for engines they are basically the same.

Hey all, i'm in the market for a new bike and have had my mind somewhat set on another yz250. I have owned an 06 but am curious how an older say 99-04 bike be in comparison if it has updated suspension? Reason i consider is price of course, but are the motors nearly identical power wise? I seen this one http://duluth.craigslist.org/mcy/4599160955.html for about half price of any 05+ bikes in my area so any input would be great!

The steel framed bikes work just as well as aluminum. I doubt that there will be a noticeable difference with a steelie and an aluminum framed bike with the sss suspension mounted up. As far as I know, the frame geometry is pretty much the same with the late model steel framed bikes and the aluminum framed bikes. So you can throw the "heavier and less manueverable" thought out. Aluminum is pretty much just another way that yamaha could get another 10 years out of the same design. I would even consider a steel framed yz with sss mounted up .

The best way to describe is that the aluminum is more precise but less forgiving.  There really is not that much difference.  Mostly preference but I believe a well set up aluminum frame bike is a little better than the steely.  If the suspension is not dialed in the aluminum frame can make it even more harsh.

I have steel framed and aluminum frame bikes but one is a RM and the other is a YZ.  Not sure how much is from better suspension on YZ but the steel frame RM almost feels more alive (not necessarily in a good way).  If that makes sense.  It feels like it is almost flexing (even though I doubt it is).  The YZ aluminum frame just feels more solid all around and you don't really think about the frame. 

At the end of the day I doubt the weight would be much different and nothing wrong with steel frame bikes.  I think the suspension is more important. 

The aluminum YZs are ridged and weigh 5lbs less then a steel frame. That being said, a steel frame YZ with SSS suspension would be a awesome woods machine...