Sign in to follow this  

A Tweakers Guide To The XR650L

Thumpertalkers,

I just got back from a wild trip to Tweakerville, CA.  The locals there were kind enough to add a few mods to my motorcycle, a 2005 XR650L.  The exhaust guru gave me the full heavy breather treatment by tossing the exhaust can and straight piping the spent gasses down and to the side.  His workmanship really shined through in his use of high temp silicone and drywall screws.  On the front end, he pulled the pesky air filter off and replaced it with his patented ram air injection system, aka shop vac fitting, again enlisting drywall screws for Baja approved longevity.  As the clock struck 4 AM they were catching their stride.  The Electronics expert had bypassed the ignition switch with a hammer and screwdriver, tore off the light while mumbling something about needing it to find the Lost Crystal Gnome and sacrificed the dash display to the demons of the night.  Armed with a roll of electric tape, he set about rewiring the harness, and simplifying the whole bundle by getting rid of more lights and turn signals.  He had a prior obligation, so he was unable to finish, no matter though because these guys have plenty of energy to push the bike wherever you need to go.  One final step, and she was ready to go.  The shift lever needed to be secured.  Imagine my surprise as they ingeniously used wire, drywall screws, and JB weld to attach the shift over the stripped shaft.  If only I had a camera to document such brilliant minds at work, oh the wonder and joy I could have shared with you all!  

Well, I have procured the object of my desires for a few pieces of silver.  Guilt-ridden, I have began the process of stripping away the expertly applied electrical tape, peeling off the side panels applied with drywall screws and discovering a stripped out shifter spline.  As you may have guessed, there will be a few nights ahead of me before I can free the beast of the entrapments of the citizens of Tweakerville.

It is late, so let us now reflect on these images of wonder and beauty.

More to follow...

XR650-4.jpg

XR650-6.jpg

looks like some expertly fine craftsmanship. are they going to try ship building for the navy or the next shuttle system for the space station?

Thumpertalkers,

I just got back from a wild trip to Tweakerville, CA.  The locals there were kind enough to add a few mods to my motorcycle, a 2005 XR650L.  The exhaust guru gave me the full heavy breather treatment by tossing the exhaust can and straight piping the spent gasses down and to the side.  His workmanship really shined through in his use of high temp silicone and drywall screws.  On the front end, he pulled the pesky air filter off and replaced it with his patented ram air injection system, aka shop vac fitting, again enlisting drywall screws for Baja approved longevity.  As the clock struck 4 AM they were catching their stride.  The Electronics expert had bypassed the ignition switch with a hammer and screwdriver, tore off the light while mumbling something about needing it to find the Lost Crystal Gnome and sacrificed the dash display to the demons of the night.  Armed with a roll of electric tape, he set about rewiring the harness, and simplifying the whole bundle by getting rid of more lights and turn signals.  He had a prior obligation, so he was unable to finish, no matter though because these guys have plenty of energy to push the bike wherever you need to go.  One final step, and she was ready to go.  The shift lever needed to be secured.  Imagine my surprise as they ingeniously used wire, drywall screws, and JB weld to attach the shift over the stripped shaft.  If only I had a camera to document such brilliant minds at work, oh the wonder and joy I could have shared with you all!  

Well, I have procured the object of my desires for a few pieces of silver.  Guilt-ridden, I have began the process of stripping away the expertly applied electrical tape, peeling off the side panels applied with drywall screws and discovering a stripped out shifter spline.  As you may have guessed, there will be a few nights ahead of me before I can free the beast of the entrapments of the citizens of Tweakerville.

It is late, so let us now reflect on these images of wonder and beauty.

Funniest thing i have read in a while (not that you picked up a bike from some tweekers at a tow auction, but the way you described it is fantastic and to the point).  It iwll be all worth it in the end, your pocket will be lighter the the accomplishment and pride will make up for it. 

Sounds like you made a visit to the desert.  Hope all goes well.

Like the visualization that i got from reading your post.  Fantastic

Edited by Hedchange

Some more pics of the ugly brute

Ok i get it...its from the classic movie  with mel gibson .... "mad max"? :lol: :lol: