Sign in to follow this  

looking for input for my wifes first bike

Hello ladies my wife has suddenly ask me for a bike. I have no idea what to get her she does decent on a ATV but only ridden a bike once in her life. She is 24 6'1 and a thick girl so im not thinking a xr100 or 150f would make her happy. But im not sure if she could handle a 250x. Id like to get her something with electric start and kick start so she can learn to kick start a bike but be easy to learn on with the electric start. Only bike I can think of is crf230 are there any other options out there. Id like to be able to show her several bikes to chose from.

At 6'1" definitely not a bike that will have her knees up near her chin when she sets on it. She will be able to sit on a taller bike comfortably. My husband rides an XR-400. Tall, sturdy bike with plenty of horse power if she is use to handling something with a little pep under the seat. I ride a CRF-150 that was lowered down for me. I am only 5"2" tall so a stock height CRF-230 might work well for her also. Then there is Yamaha, TTR-225. Milder power band, peppy and a seat height that would be friendly for her comfort level.

I always recommend that you look for a Hare Scramble that might be happening near you and spend an afternoon there looking at bikes. Most are eager and willing to talk about their rides and even may be willing to let your wife sit on them for size.

We are always willing to cheer on a new lady rider. Make sure you do not get her a bike that is going to intimidate her from day one. Start easy and work your way up as her experience level increases. Bikes are always available and usually easy to sell.

Scaring her away is my main fear she us very timid and spooks easy. And I may scare her some to being over protective not wanting her to get hurt. I didn't think of the Yamaha thanks.

entry level e-start bikes that can be had for fairly cheap:

CRF230f

TTR230/TTR250

DRZ250

KLX300

More advanced machines:

WR250F

CRF250X

Her height will allow more confidence than some that are shorter, being able to touch was a big factor for my wife and daughters as they progressed. Wife is 5'4" and on a CRF250X, youngest daughter still on a CRF150F at 5'2"

Find a place that will rent bikes local to you and try a few things or start making friends with people that will let you try what they have.

TTrR230/250 or wr250f which is a great bike to grow over time with her as you add a few aftermarket parts to make the wr run like like a yz250f over time as her confidence grows...the WRs are pretty tame in stock form...the best thing about a wr vs a ttr is the suspension... i am also 6ft @ 175lbs in gear and can still touch the ground with my feet...

you mentioned you wanted one with Estart AND kick..The CRF230f is one that I started on however, it does NOT have a kickstart option.  I did like it as my first bike though, it allowed me to throw it around a lot and was lighter to pick up compared to the WR250f bike I just moved to.  

If you go with the WR250f stock, it'll be bogged down enough that you can get away with it being a starter bike. The only thing is is it's pretty heavy. I know when I first started..getting used to picking up the bike sucked.  Now, I know you're gonna say "oh, i'd pick it up for her".  You may not always be around to help and/or may get tired of it after a while. -not saying that to be mean just calling it how it is-. So with it being bogged down that means you can almost get more bang for your buck because as she gets more seat time you can do different mods such as the free mods that will help open it up.  There is the gray wire, snorkel removal, baffle from the exhaust removal, and i think that is it for free? i can't remember.  Then for some cash there is the AIS removal with fuel mixture screw and I believe it comes with a throttle stop screw because the stock bike has only half throttle, JD jet kit for rejetting which you don't need to necessarily do right away after adjusting all that other stuff but it is suggested depending on how it's run.  I've also heard instead of rejetting all of it, you may only invest in the fuel mixture screw and just messing around with that to see what makes it run better.  Though I still suggest using the JD jet kid.  There is also getting a different exhaust pipe like the FMF one.  I can't remember the specific one but again that's later on anyway..just giving you an idea.  Anyway, when I first bought my 2009 WR250f with only 12hrs, it came stock..After I rode it a few times I thought i made the worse decision because it almost felt as if it was slower and less power than my 230f.  Which should give you an idea....

that being said, have fun :p 

Also, if you do go with the WR250f and get to the point of doing all the mods..i got vids on it..that's the only way I knew how to do any of it, that and with the help of Weekendrider who's on this forum...So this forum and youtube hahaha Gotta love being a newbie to bike mechanics :D  So ask away when you get to that point. 

Good luck!

I think the wr might would be ok I have a wr250r street version and its subpose to be weaker then the wr250f but she wont try it out she says if I wreak it ill brake a signal off it or a mirror and you'll be mad lol id love to see her do that so I got a excuse to upgrade that stuff but the size fits her ok it is lowered some about an inch and she is almost flat footed on it.

• Like 1

strip the street stuff off and turn her loose.  heck one day of off road riding cost me 2 sets of bars back in 2009.  one set on wr250x and one set on xt350.  was a fun day though :ride:

Have you looked at any kdx's or xr250's. They're pretty mellow and have ok suspension for a beginner to intermediate rider. Or maybe try mellowing out a 125, Fly wheel weight, delayed timing, spark arrestor it might be docile enough for her.

at 6'1" and a "bit thick" she's laughing on pretty much any 250 so depends on what you're going to ride- do you need a spark arrestor and what are your sound restrictions?

If I had that height I'd look for a WR250F (trail). The Honda CRF250X engine is pretty easy to tame down as well but the darn clutch is touchy so could be a bit frustrating if not tamed as well. If you can find a bigger bike with a rekluse than that's a big bonus. E-Start- I can't imagine not having the option anymore.

Other thing to consider, when there are so many options, is what do you ride? Do you want to keep them similar for parts, tools, etc..

at 6'1" and a "bit thick" she's laughing on pretty much any 250 so depends on what you're going to ride- do you need a spark arrestor and what are your sound restrictions?

If I had that height I'd look for a WR250F (trail). The Honda CRF250X engine is pretty easy to tame down as well but the darn clutch is touchy so could be a bit frustrating if not tamed as well. If you can find a bigger bike with a rekluse than that's a big bonus. E-Start- I can't imagine not having the option anymore.

Other thing to consider, when there are so many options, is what do you ride? Do you want to keep them similar for parts, tools, etc..

The height thing with the wr250f can be solved with lowering it.  I'm 5'1" and I ride the wr250f.  Got suspension and got it lowered since it all has to do with eachother. just another thought to throw in there. I also rode it for at least a month with out it lowered, PITA but it was manageable.

Scaring her away is my main fear she us very timid and spooks easy. And I may scare her some to being over protective not wanting her to get hurt. I didn't think of the Yamaha thanks.

CRF150F.  Bike is small enough for her to be able gain confidence and not be intimidated.  Large enough where it still seems like a "real" motorcycle. 

I have taught several females of all sizes to ride and everyone of them has done well and continued to ride.  A few that have went on to ride bigger bikes have told me that if they did not have such a positive experience on the smaller bike they don't think they would have stuck with it.  I currently have a friend who has a wife who is 5'10 with street bike experience,  He stuck her on a ttr225.  She was ready to quit after the first ride.  Put her on the 150F and the little bit of extra confidence makes all the difference in the world.

Hello ladies my wife has suddenly ask me for a bike. I have no idea what to get her she does decent on a ATV but only ridden a bike once in her life. She is 24 6'1 and a thick girl so im not thinking a xr100 or 150f would make her happy. But im not sure if she could handle a 250x. Id like to get her something with electric start and kick start so she can learn to kick start a bike but be easy to learn on with the electric start. Only bike I can think of is crf230 are there any other options out there. Id like to be able to show her several bikes to chose from.

youre exactly right, a TT-R230 or CRF230F. I'd recommend the TTR just because I like yamahaulass.

you mentioned you wanted one with Estart AND kick..The CRF230f is one that I started on however, it does NOT have a kickstart option. I did like it as my first bike though, it allowed me to throw it around a lot and was lighter to pick up compared to the WR250f bike I just moved to.

If you go with the WR250f stock, it'll be bogged down enough that you can get away with it being a starter bike. The only thing is is it's pretty heavy. I know when I first started..getting used to picking up the bike sucked. Now, I know you're gonna say "oh, i'd pick it up for her". You may not always be around to help and/or may get tired of it after a while. -not saying that to be mean just calling it how it is-. So with it being bogged down that means you can almost get more bang for your buck because as she gets more seat time you can do different mods such as the free mods that will help open it up. There is the gray wire, snorkel removal, baffle from the exhaust removal, and i think that is it for free? i can't remember. Then for some cash there is the AIS removal with fuel mixture screw and I believe it comes with a throttle stop screw because the stock bike has only half throttle, JD jet kit for rejetting which you don't need to necessarily do right away after adjusting all that other stuff but it is suggested depending on how it's run. I've also heard instead of rejetting all of it, you may only invest in the fuel mixture screw and just messing around with that to see what makes it run better. Though I still suggest using the JD jet kid. There is also getting a different exhaust pipe like the FMF one. I can't remember the specific one but again that's later on anyway..just giving you an idea. Anyway, when I first bought my 2009 WR250f with only 12hrs, it came stock..After I rode it a few times I thought i made the worse decision because it almost felt as if it was slower and less power than my 230f. Which should give you an idea....

that being said, have fun :p

Also, if you do go with the WR250f and get to the point of doing all the mods..i got vids on it..that's the only way I knew how to do any of it, that and with the help of Weekendrider who's on this forum...So this forum and youtube hahaha Gotta love being a newbie to bike mechanics :D So ask away when you get to that point.

Good luck!

how much does that WRF weigh? I think its the same as that TTR you had because 230's weigh 250 wet.

how much does that WRF weigh? I think its the same as that TTR you had because 230's weigh 250 wet.

Never had a ttr. 230 weighed 238dry weight.  

weight including oil,gas,etc..is 260lbs http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_wr250f_2009.php

you can tell the difference..believe me. i know because i've had to do both :) gotta love experience :)

• Like 1

Keeping our bikes simular isn't an option im always trading bikes buying fixing selling bikes but I have never bought anything small its always been 250 2 stroke or bigger she refuses the kdx idea she said this is her words lol "im not listening to a big weedeater all day long you know I dont like those bikes like that" so looks like 4 stroke it is and I do like the sound of using a rekluse in the crfx or wr she is use to a auto on her kfx700 and the rekluse may help her confidence.

Wr and rekluse...

if she's new to clutching, i would not recommend rekluse right off the bat.  Learn how to use the clutch and when.  Then, maybe, a rekluse..i still won't buy one after only a year of riding due to the fact I still think I got more to learn with a clutch...

• Like 1

if she's new to clutching, i would not recommend rekluse right off the bat.  Learn how to use the clutch and when.  Then, maybe, a rekluse..i still won't buy one after only a year of riding due to the fact I still think I got more to learn with a clutch...

If you buy the better rekluses you can still clutch. Best of both worlds!

• Like 1

If you buy the better rekluses you can still clutch. Best of both worlds!

well yes.  However, if you don't have to then why would you use the clutch? ya know? you'll start becoming more lax on clutch control and rely more on the rekluse. so to get yourself better use to the clutch..wait on the rekluse..IMO