Sign in to follow this  

Hard packed berms late in the day

Early in the day when the corners are soft and fresh I do pretty good getting thru them but later in the day when they start getting hard packed and a little rough I feel like I'm losing a lot of time. Do I need to just man up lay her over and twist the throttle. I think my entry is the biggest problem. It's either too slow or when I try to get on the gas the bike isn't settling into the rut. Riding a smoker if that matters.

Enter the corner and break as late as you can. Pull the clutch in a bit and rev the bike some to keep it on pipe and when it's time to get on the gas feather the clutch on the gas.

In the Ruts, leaning back a bit can help in tighter turns. Just remember, keep her revving.

so it's ruts that are the issue not berms? or berms with ruts on exit? Be more specific on how the corners are developing and you will get better answers.

Sounds like you just need to commit. I had the same problem on my smoker for the longest time. Once the berm/rut gets hard and dry the rear end feels loose and it feels like you are going to lose it at any moment. Finally I just said F it and hit it like I would earlier in the day and it worked like a charm. Give it a shot... get in deep, lean the bike over, and clutch it out. You will be amazed at how fast you can hit it after you get used to the rear feeling slightly loose.

don't know if I would consider it a rut. Just that the bottom portion of the berm gets hard packed. thinking my body position is a big problem I was trying to sit really far forward on the bike. And I just need to commit

Come in cautiously, carry your speed and weight the outside peg.  On flat, dry, dusty hardpack you have to take it easy.  That doesn't mean you have to go slow just be careful.  Picking a good line is important because it is difficult to make corrections.  Don't try to ride the front tire, maintain a neutral position on the bike.  You lose more time when the front end washes out and you have to pick the bike up.

Early in the day when the corners are soft and fresh I do pretty good getting thru them but later in the day when they start getting hard packed and a little rough I feel like I'm losing a lot of time. Do I need to just man up lay her over and twist the throttle. I think my entry is the biggest problem. It's either too slow or when I try to get on the gas the bike isn't settling into the rut. Riding a smoker if that matters.

The techniques are the same for soft to hard packed ruts, you just have to adjust the techniques a little in order to fit the conditions. When it's hard packed the bike is going to roll through the corner more easily. This means you'll have to be more precise with the brakes, especially on a smoker. When it's choppy you'll want to keep more of your weight on the foot pegs or peg. Following is more info about rutted (bermed) corners. 

Riding ruts (berms) well is an advanced technique. When dealing with these deep rutted lines in the track there is little to no room for error.  To do it correctly you have to have all the basics down and have a lot of seat time under your helmet.  Some of the keys to pay attention to are; getting lined up ahead of time for the entrance of the rut, controlling the front and/or rear brakes until the transition (where you go from braking to accelerating) then controlling the clutch and throttle and controlling the lean of the bike.  Also try to look ahead up around the berm a little ways not just in front of the fender.  Stay loose with your upper body so you can quickly and easily move from side to side in order to keep your balance. These key points should help but remember it does take a lot of practice to get good in berms.  In July 2011 I released a new DVD called Motocross Bermed Corners from my 2011 Volume 3 Series. See a free preview, order a DVD disc or Stream at; http://wp.gsmxs.com/dvd-5-motocross-berm-corner-techniques/  Use this code and receive 10% off: TTGSMXS58 

MX Berm Corner box cover 240.jpg

Here's one of my TT Blogs (video) about beamed corners. Once you're there you can join my blog in the upper right corner. This way you'll be notified when I post a new blog entry. http://www.thumpertalk.com/blog/4/entry-48-video-controlling-speed-in-berm-corners/
Edited by Gary Semics