Sign in to follow this  

How to know if your exhaust pipe and muffler are good?

I bought a used '05 CR125 with an after market muffler and exhaust that the previous owner had installed. Not sure when the last time it was repacked. How do you know when your muffler is going bad and needs replacing or repacking? Is there a certain sound it starts to make or power loss?

I recently had to replace the head pipe o-ring seal and gasket because it was "spooging out the head pipe" as I like to say. When I took off the pipe I saw some black oily grime down in there. I didn't know how to clean it so I just left it LOL (should it be cleaned?). So I fixed the leak on the head pipe and I noticed its also leaking out where the exhaust pipe and muffler join.

Does that mean the jetting/mix is off or the muffler bad/clogged? I'm running 32:1 (same as previous owner and 91 gas).The jetting is bone stock as far as I know. The bike doesn't stay idle either for some reason (not sure if that's related or not). I'm trying to rule out parts to stop the leak before I mess with the jetting. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron

Edited by 2stroke420

If there is that much spooge, chances are the packing is saturated.  Packing is cheap and repacking the silencer is a simple task.  Just repack it, then you will know where you stand.  

Put some high temp silicone on the silencer, the part where it connects to the pipe, it forms a gasket so oil doesn't leak.

Edited by Bigtymer781
  • Like 1