Sign in to follow this  

lights not working from my '12 XC300

2012 xc300, previous owner put a headlight and taillight on it instead of just the number plate. It has been working but it just seemed to die the other day. bulbs work. there is NO battery, it only runs when the bike is running. 

Any ideas with the wiring harness?

obviously check all connections, there should be a fuse inline the system.  Is there power to the bulb when checked with multimeter?  Also check regulator

Edited by Smokeslider

obviously check all connections, there should be a fuse inline the system.  Is there power to the bulb when checked with multimeter?  Also check regulator

I haven't been able to find any fuses. 

how come there are 3 wires going to the headlight (and not just two), then two more going to the little running light?

pictures........ I have the same bike but wired my light direct to battery.  Looks like you removed your and running direct from the regulator I presume?

Is there a switch>?  My switch crapped the bed.  I just replaced it and life was good

Your owner's manual has the wiring diagram. There is no fuse. The regulator/rectifier has one line switched to dc and goes to the battery. The other circuit is ac and is used for headlight power. You need to trace the wiring and use a test lamp at all the connections. Also check the ground. The harness behind the mask is prone to wiring damage, or the connectors coming loose.

pictures........ I have the same bike but wired my light direct to battery. Looks like you removed your and running direct from the regulator I presume?

I don't have a battery in my bike. They previous owner must have wired it directly to the regulator? Edited by Motomike1

Also, I checked the connection that the rear tail light connects to and it lit up a bulb when the bike was running. So I guess at least that power source is functioning (but the tail light isn't working.) Time for a new tail light??

Edited by Motomike1

Why are there three wires coming out of the main headlight and not just two? What's the positive and negative, and whats the purpose of the third?

Edited by Motomike1

got them working yesterday, the small running light (off to the side in the headlight unit blew out, so i just bypassed that and connected it to the main headlight which i wanted anyway.

Now i just need a new rear brake light as the one i have now (stock?) is not working although it is getting power to it. 

got them working yesterday, the small running light (off to the side in the headlight unit blew out, so i just bypassed that and connected it to the main headlight which i wanted anyway.

Now i just need a new rear brake light as the one i have now (stock?) is not working although it is getting power to it.

Mike, it sounds like you have a home made lighting system. I have a '12 300 XC and it has no lights, break switch, or anything else.

Mike, it sounds like you have a home made lighting system. I have a '12 300 XC and it has no lights, break switch, or anything else.

They come wired for a headlight, but don't come with rear brake switch and rear tail light....

Edited by Monk

They come wired for a headlight, but don't come with rear brake switch and rear tail light....

You're right,Monk, I was speaking of components. I wouldn't be too surprised if the XC doesn't have at least some street legal wiring, as my impression is it shares wiring with the EXC. Edited by drtbkjoe