Sign in to follow this  

Benefits to silicone hoses?

I switched to silicone hoses recently. Love em. Offered in colors. I bought a set off ebay. ZPC brand in blue. Fit great but had to be trimmed to length. I think most after market ones are just a bit longer for a reasonable trim to fit. I even pulled the rubber guards off the oem hoses and added them to the new ones. Figured it couldnt hurt. The silicone handles higher temps. The ZPC has a lot higher reinforcing thread count over stock. That was important to me because I also installed a higher pressure rad cap.

Edited by Jim BurnCycle Abbott
  • Like 2

I'm running samco hoses. They are great. I was running ZPC hoses. They were good too but I baked the hose that goes from the water pump to the left radiator from the hot mrd pipe.took a couple of years to finally see the damage but that only happened because it was so close to the pipeImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408636349.716921.jpg

i would guess 'maybe' if you really put your bike through the grinder, and you choose a high quality one .. it would be hard to beat the stock hoses, my bike is a 2000 and has the original hoses still on it, still no cracks or bulges .. probably should replace them now after, oh what is it, ... 14 years lol .. im thinking a cool blue ..

• Like 1

The most important thing is DO NOT over tighten the clamps on silicone hoses and do not use the cheap worm gear clamps. They will cut into the silicone. OEM clamps work great. I've tried custom silicone hose clamps too.

DRC and Samco hoses seem to work best. (Fit & Finish/ No cutting) They are year specific (2 or 3 hose kits)

• Like 1