Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR200R with RFVC - Need Help

Hi there everyone,

I was going to post this over in the XR200 forum but I think seems how I have the RFVC engine maybe this is a better spot.  Moderators, if you disagree feel free to move.  Ok on with the issue at hand.

First,  I just picked up this bike yesterday for $250.  I started it and drove it down the road and back which for me was enough to say it was worth $250.  Most of the bike is in decent shape.  Here's a picture of it sitting on the trailer when we stopped for a bite on the way home.

dh439Lt.jpg

It had a home-made shifter and the guy said it leaked oil from the shifter.  I didn't look at it super close at the guys house because I figured a running driving bike was worth what I paid for it.  Well upon further inspection they must have dropped or crashed the bike and tore that shifter shaft pretty good because it looks like they broke the case and tried to repair it.  It's leaking pretty good and in my opinion the only way to fix this is to replace the left crankcase.  Looks like I'll be tearing this engine down.

I've already located a number of left side crankcases on Flea-Bay for around $50.  However, that's as far as I've gotten.  This is what I'm looking for help with

1.  First and foremost, somewhere to get ahold of a service manual.  Would love to download one, I found a used one for $25 but would like to find a cheaper electronic version if possible.

2.  I've read that parts are hard to find for this engine, what are some good places to source parts as I need them

3.  What specialty tools will I need for this tear down.  I rebuilt a DRZ400 engine about 8 years ago but haven't done an engine rebuild since.

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated.  THANKS!!

• Like 1

Service Honda in CA used to have some good sources for these 84-85 short-stroke engines.  When I had a chance to get my 1984 Al Baker XR265 back I called them to check on parts availability.  They said most of their sources were tapped out and parts were almost impossible to find.  I'm sure parts are out there if you have enough time and money but I wasn't willing to take the chance.

The 84-85 engines have a bad reputation but it is founded upon lack of or poor maintenance.  These engines are very durable and reliable if you adjust the valves and change the oil every 200 miles.  My 1984 Al Baker XR265 is still in service to this day.

I had actually heard the opposite, that these engines were tanks if you didn't modify them.  I had hard to change to oil often though as they tend to run hot, especially the 84 model?  Mine's an 85.  Anyway, I've gotta get into the crankcase to change the left side and shifter shaft so probably should put new bearings in where I can to prolong this engine even more.

I had actually heard the opposite, that these engines were tanks if you didn't modify them.  I had hard to change to oil often though as they tend to run hot, especially the 84 model?  Mine's an 85.  Anyway, I've gotta get into the crankcase to change the left side and shifter shaft so probably should put new bearings in where I can to prolong this engine even more.

Yes I read that all the time.  This comes from riders that didn't maintain their machines.  We had two 1984 Al Baker XR265s and both were extremely reliable.  We beat the hell out of them and they were just fine.  Al Baker said we should always run 93+ octane fuel, keep the cooling fins free of dirt and mud, and change the oil and adjust the valves every 200 miles or after every race.  We also used Mobil 1 15-50 in our two bikes.

If you DIDN'T take care of these engines they would absolutely self destruct.  This is one of the reasons Honda added an oil cooler in 1986 and changed to a dry-sump engine in 1996.

As far as the RFVC 200 versus the two-valve 200 I would have to agree the two-valve is lighter and far simpler.  I've never ridden a RFVC 200 so I can not comment.  I would guess the RFVC 200 makes less low-end and more top-end power due to the better head and more overall carb area.

Good info, will have to keep a strict maintenance schedule on this baby.  Of course it's made it nearly 30 years so far and hopefully it's got plenty of life left.

Anybody ever try to splice a post-85 single carb 250 bottom under a 84/85 barrel and head?  From what I understand, the longer stroke shouldn't be a problem, as the long stroke rod is shorter so the top of the stroke is the same relative to the combustion chamber.  I think I've also read that the 84/85 250 barrel is an alternative to a re-bore for later 250's. Given that the 200 and 250 share the same stroke (rod, crank-case?), it might work for the 200s, too.