Sign in to follow this  

I just bought a KTM 525 Street legal?

I picked up a 05 525 KTM EXC 3,200 miles, the other day for an extremely good price so i thought why not? anyways, Ive been reading around and noticed that the only street legal bikes ktm made were the 07 and 08-11 525exc as well as the 450s. Was mine converted? it has a street legal title but im concerned about the reliability of it. do i have to change the oil every 250 miles? are these bikes reliable? i guess i was more so looking for an enduro, but got this for the price!

Edited by natedog7700

There are plenty of states that allow you title dirt bikes with varying amount of requirements.  Also, just because you received a street legal title doesn't mean the bike is currently street legal.  I don't recall the 05 exc coming with things like dot tires, horn or a mirror though they could have.  Generally speaking things like filter and oil changes can be stretched much further when you only ride on the rode.  Do you plan on riding it off road as well or only on road?

Does the bike have street legal accesories (horn, blinkers, mirrors etc.)? If so, just be happy. Different states allow ktm's to be street legal and registered. Keep it up to date and resale value will be higher.

I have an 04 525sx which is on the road. Has the 6 speed conversion, and at highway speed I'm at 5000 rpm, which is pretty easy on the oil. No need to change it at 250 miles, but if you use Rotella, why not change the oil frequently? Those RFS motors are pretty strong

I have an '00 520 EXC with a plate/title. Very reliable bikes.

All KTM 500, 505, 520, 525, 530 are all 510cc. When they make major changes, they change the number. Why? Who the hell knows! Lol

Edited by DR.billZ

07 was the first year exc's were 50 state street legal. Some states are easy to get a plate. Cali is usually the hardest.

Does the bike have street legal accesories (horn, blinkers, mirrors etc.)? If so, just be happy. Different states allow ktm's to be street legal and registered. Keep it up to date and resale value will be higher.

I am planning to drive the bike on the road atleast as much as off road. id say about 65% of the time. It does have a tail light, head light, street legal title, plate bracket, and speedometer. but no turn signals (dont need them in my state of wisconsin). also one other thing it doesnt have is a horn which throws me off because technically you do need one. Hmmm.

I would like to get turn signals, key start, horn, and better tires although the ones on it are DOT approved. so when do you think i need to change the oil every 1000 miles? i dont ride hard but i do love to cruise whether its on or off road. I love the bike its like a true Dirt Bike but with a street legal title so i do plan on keeping it for a while. just need to add a few things to make it better for the road im just concerned on how well it will hold up being a true "dirt bike" more than anything.

I have an '00 520 EXC with a plate/title. Very reliable bikes.

All KTM 500, 505, 520, 525, 530 are all 510cc. When they make major changes, they change the number. Why? Who the hell knows! Lol

How often do you change your oil on you 500 and how much road/dirt do you ride? Also is there any way to lower the bike front AND back? the stock ride height is a little tall for me im only 5'9"

The bike has 3,200 miles on it and the guy (original owner, kind of) said it was never re built or anything. maintained well everything is stock down to the air box except the over sized radiators and extra cooling fans.

Edited by natedog7700

Let's see, I have 1.5 hours on the 500, so I've changed the oil.... Once! Lol. Now the 520 is more like every 10-15 hours although there is no hour gauge on it. Neither gets many road miles.

Edited by DR.billZ

If it's plated, it's plated.  Doesn't matter where or how. ;)

Oil intervals - Send samples out for analysis.  Blackstone Labs is who I went through, they said my oil's good for 25-30 hours.  I use Rotella T6.

Reliability:

Valves.  Send the head off to Hopkins for the 1mm oversize stainless valves.  You'll go from adjusting valves every other oil change to once or twice a year. 

Crank bearings.  The needle bearings are prone to failure in dualsport applications.  Replace those with the roller bearings from the SMR... you'll need to hone out the ID for a slip-fit over the crank.  Auto parts stores carry a brake hone and stones to do that.

There's a fork mod you can do to improve performance of the forks off-road.  Basically involves drilling two holes in the inner fork tube to serve as a fluid bypass.

My '07s got over 20k miles on it, and just this summer it needed a full/complete scrub and rebuild.  Turns out a lot of chassis parts just need to be replaced after 700+ hours.  Top-end every year or so.  Cylinder replate with every other piston. 

Great bikes.

DSC_4014_-L.jpg

My 07 450 I change oil about every 400 to 500 miles.

Wow snow! Every other oil change you did the valves? With average riding only once a year for me.

And no stainless either. Stock.

Edited by pterry