Sign in to follow this  

Worst Stripped Shift Lever?

I recently purchased a 2005 XR650L at tow auction for $200.  I thought it would be a simple bike to get going,, but alas the tweakers before me are getting the last laugh (probably a toothless laugh). See my post here for more details:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1100665-a-tweakers-guide-to-the-xr650l/

Anyway, it appears that at some point the shifter stripped the splines on the shaft, my friends had an ingenius fix for this by using a mixture of wire, drywall screws, string and of course... JB Weld.  Amazingly, it worked!

So my first question:

Do I have to split the case to remove the shaft on this bike?

Secondly, 

If I have to split the case, is it feasible to weld a new shifter onto the shaft?  I know this is neither the ideal situation nor how most of you would handle it, but with so little invested in this bike, I'm not about to split the case.

Here are some pics:

20140821_072441.jpg

20140821_072509.jpg

20140821_072456.jpg

20140820_131552.jpg

You may have better luck getting an answer about splitting the cases or not in the Honda specific sub forum.  

You do not have to split the cases to replace the shaft. Grind down the buggered up end. Remove the clutch, you'll see the other end of the shift shaft.

Put in a new shift shaft seal too. Probably also needs a countershaft seal and bushing.

• Like 3

Are you sure about that William?  That is good news if so!  So I can replace the seal from outside the case?

Here is a pic of the offending shifter:

20140820_173538.jpg

Wow, amazing! Is it even running?

BTW is there still any gas in the tank? You could use it to clean the area around the shifter a bit  :)

Edited by MCVL

There is a fluid in the tank, I hesitate to call it gas though.  :rolleyes:

Looking on the bike bandit parts diagram it appears that this part is retained with a circlip from within.  :banghead:

William would be wrong here......gotta split the cases on an XR650L to replace the shift shaft..

I would weld a new shifter on......make sure you keep the seal cool though..and use an OE shifter,,,the aftermarket shifters are harder and if you dump the bike they have caused broken shift shafts,,the OE is soft like spaggetti,lol....easily straightened out after the bike takes a nap..

If you do replace the shaft at some time,,,there is an updated spring just inside the case that was known to break,,replace it with the updated part at that time too..

B

Edited by brianhare

I wish mine looked like that on the inside.  It is strewn about the shop right now :/ along with spray paint, and every other part of the bike that i am cleaning 28 years of grime off.

Sorry to hear about the twackers.  Looks like the bathed the bike in a oil grease mixture .

Good luck