Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Headed to Taylor Park for Labor Day Week! Others?

Hey guys,

Me and a buddy are headed to Taylor Park the first week of September to do some trail riding all that week. We're staying at the cabins there at the reservoir. Wanted to see if anyone else would be there that either wants to tag along with us or would let us tag along with you.

My buddy has been going up there with a big group from Oklahoma for a long time but hasn't been in years and I have never been to this area of the Gunnison National Forest.

Also, if none of you guys will be in the area, send along any recommendations for trails that we should hit or any we should stay away from.

Thanks ahead of time!

Jonathan

Make certain you have the latest MVUM and know what trails are open or closed. If you ride Deadman, make sure you ride it down, not up. I will be up there starting 9/4. We will be up at the north end of the valley, prolly 20 or so miles north of the trading post.

We are riding Monday Tuesday (3 this far). I hear my buddy and 'guide' is taking us over the mountain to Aspen for lunch and back. Nope, we are not played but he says it will be fine. Intermediate riders. Glad to meet up if that sounds fun. I'll keep ya posted.

Jason

Headed out there first week too. Always went first week of August because there's normally a bit of rain to keep the dust down.

Don't forget to ride Timberline from Pie Plant to Texas Creek for the morning opener. Follow with Star, Double Top and some of those other easy trails.  ;)  Real shame they closed the bottom section of Doctors Park. Lost some awesome sweepers through the Aspens.

Several trails are best ridden in a directional fashion, local knowledge helps. Not only better riding but causes less enviro damage. The less damage that the trails receive the longer they will be open. Fritz Kadlecs shop in Gunnison is a great source of local knowledge. The regional threads in KTMTalk are a great resource also.

It's also a shame they closed Teocali Ridge.

Reno Ridge is a favorite of mine, but its kinda out of the way unless you're already in the area.

I thought that was temporary?

Me too. Thought it was a reroute. Has been closed for two seasons now though.

Me too. Thought it was a reroute. Has been closed for two seasons now though.

Two buddies and I were the last people to ride it legally. After finishing it and talking about it at trails end, apparently a Ranger was just a few minutes behind us, as he came riding down the trail with the signs strapped to his bike. He had just closed it. I think I remember him saying it was going to be a reroute.

I sure hope thats all it is. Its a great trail, very scenic. Altho, I just looked at 2013 Gunnison district MVUM and its shown to be open.

Edited by Trailryder42

Just got back from Taylor. Teocalli is open. They did some rerouting but still a great trail. Star is getting harder with some areas fairly eroded. I'd say some sections are expert only if ridden from Flag.  Cement Mountain trail really needs to be ridden from the south, the erosion in the woods sections is getting worse and is a bit difficult if raining. Mysterious is closed, Roaring Judy, bottom half of Doctor's Park, Grassy Trail and some other minor closures.

The Forest Service has installed some new bridges and erosion control blocks on a few trails but I think they're having some trouble staying ahead.