Sign in to follow this  

Ontario larose forest

Sticky subject.

As I understand it, there's LOTS of ATV trails there, tiny dirt bike trail. If you do go, please post about it.

From the BMA site:

• An OFTR membership is required (comes with your BMA membership)
  • Your bike must be plated and insured
  • Your bike must be quiet (less than 94 db)
  • Tread lightly during wet weather, or simply avoid riding in this area after prolonged wet weather. Respect the potential damage that can be done to the trail, so we may all continue to enjoy the area
  • Bug spray is advisable at times
  • Bicycles are allowed on the trail, always respect other users, bikes, hikers, animals, horseback riders
  • No ATV access
  • Stay on marked trails
  • Enjoy and tell your friends
  •  
  •  

Reviving an older thread,

looking into new places to trailride next summer, discovered Larose Forest is only a little over an hour away,

Bytown Motorcycle Association's website indicate they maintain 10km of dirt bike (not ATV) trails there.

Anyone know what type of terrain / skill level is to be expected ?

A search on BMA's discussion forums mention anything from 'kid/family friendly' to 'technical and a tight fit for full-sized bikes'.

Edited by mlatour

The designated bike trails in larose are very tight, full of roots, gnarly, no flow. Its a rough trail.

Larose used to be a haven. I personally would not drive an hour to go there. Where are you from?

I'm across the Ottawa River in Quebec, about 30 minutes north east of Hawkesbury Ont. (near the Carillon power dam)

Slow / rough trail sounds fun but I'm not sure I'd take a yearly BMA membership to ride there once or twice a season.

Edited by mlatour

I wouldnt buy a BMA pass to ride larose. I was considering buying a pass just to support the group.

Also considering going out this spring for trail cleaning. Again, I use the trails so I figure I should help out.

• Like 1

That's what a member from our regional enduro forum suggested, worth the extra hour driving.

I've seen videos on YouTube which show fast paced riding thru tight wooded singletrack, I'm more into slow 1st/2nd gear stuff

not crazy hardcore technical stuff but generaly into slower paced, loose rocks, traction challenging soft/loose terrain (without being a bottomless mud bog)

but from what I've been told Limerick is relatively flat with no elevation changes.

I'm pretty sure a BMA membership isn't required to ride there as well but remember reading it was a future consideration ?

Edited by mlatour

Correct, but that "future consideration" has been going on for years.

Limerick has some small hills, but its not mountain climbing. Lots of roots, some mud, some sand, some hard pack, some gravel, some bushwacking.

I spend most of my time in 2/3 gear on my FX. Depends on how you ride.

If you want really challenging head to bogie

On 21/01/2017 at 6:33 AM, XRalways said:

Correct, but that "future consideration" has been going on for years.

Limerick has some small hills, but its not mountain climbing. Lots of roots, some mud, some sand, some hard pack, some gravel, some bushwacking.

I spend most of my time in 2/3 gear on my FX. Depends on how you ride.

If you want really challenging head to bogie

i did go to limerick and calabogie . i prefer calabogie more trail and simple to very hard trail . single track or dual . woody,s a guy that doing some of those trail did send out to woody,s wonderland and more .... very technical . only down side is mo indication of any trail, no map .  hard to find for a first time ride . you need a gps for sure . woody told me he will do more trail this year . 

this year i will ride new 500 ktm with tubilest and reckluse for those trail 

Edited by cisco 1

I was at the larose clean up this spring. It is a very tight single track approx 10 km long. There are a FEW atv trails around it, but there are also plenty of trails dedicated to horses, walkers, bicycles and snow shoe. The forest association is very particular about who uses what tracks and patrol regularily. The dirt bike trails do require a BMA membership. We have authorization to use a particular track of land with a few very dedicated indiciduals who have spent alot of time making these trails. If you guys want to make them better or change anything we can, you just need to come out and help do it. Ive just moved to the area and will be riding there all summer. Im thinking of taking a week off next spring solely to work on these trails. I would appreciate your guys input on how they can be improved.

I was at the larose clean up this spring. It is a very tight single track approx 10 km long. There are a FEW atv trails around it, but there are also plenty of trails dedicated to horses, walkers, bicycles and snow shoe. The forest association is very particular about who uses what tracks and patrol regularily. The dirt bike trails do require a BMA membership. We have authorization to use a particular track of land with a few very dedicated indiciduals who have spent alot of time making these trails. If you guys want to make them better or change anything we can, you just need to come out and help do it. Ive just moved to the area and will be riding there all summer. Im thinking of taking a week off next spring solely to work on these trails. I would appreciate your guys input on how they can be improved.

You have permission to expand the trails?

We have permission to make as many trails as we want within the land given to us. The guys used to have more trails there too, but found it hard to keep it going with only 2 guys maintaining it.